• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[XNA]Quick question about Xbox memory

This topic is 3003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

According to this this Wikipeda Entry, the Xbox is equipped with 512MB GDDR3 system memory and 10MB eDRAM for the frame buffer. Is the entire memory pool (except the eDRAM) available for me or am I limited to a fixed amount of system memory?

Advertisement
As far as I'm aware, from a previous post, the Xbox360 uses a unified memory architecture meaning that the 512MB it has is shared between the GPU and CPU. The benefit of this is that the CPU doesn't need to copy resources across the bus to get to the GPU because both chips are already looking at the same memory.

So in answer to your question, yes, you have access to all (or at least the majority) of the memory. I'm not exactly sure where the frame buffer RAM resides in relation to main memory, but I do know that you don't get the full 512MB to play with.

A big thank you to both of you.

It seems that I have access to the entire (unified) system memort pool except for the resources allocated by the O/S and the .Net framework.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement