• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pachanga

Integration with 3rd party chat server(ejabberd)

This topic is 3269 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Chat is an essential part of any multiplayer game and as the number of players in my game is gradually increasing I'm thinking of usage of some well tested external chat server instead of the home grown not scalable solution. Of course, I can try to make it scalable myself but is it worth it if there are nice OpenSource alternatives like ejabberd? Guys, if you have any experience of such integration could you please share it? Thanks.

Advertisement
I seriously doubt that scalability of chat is an issue, given that the traffic in is tiny and the traffic out, although larger, has very lenient latency requirements. Bear in mind that MUDs were handling several hundred simultaneous players on a Cyrix P233MX 10 years ago over ADSL lines or worse, and they probably send more data in terms of room descriptions and combat messages than a typical MMO sends in chat messages.

More understandable would be to want to get extra features, which is what ChatBlade offers (at eyewatering prices, at least for hobbyists and independents). No idea if there's a free alternative.

Thanks for your different opinions folks ;) It's always hard to decide whether to re-invent the wheel or to tune the existing one...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!