• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
technorabble

C# Reading double-precision numbers from file line at a time

This topic is 3183 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm hoping to run through a file, pulling in a line at a time. Each line will have n space delimited double-precision numbers in, like: 0.12345 2.345676 7.64686 5.687436 6.96846 0.235454 etc (n is known at runtime but not compile time) And I would prefer to grab a line, get the numbers into variables, process the variables, then rinse and repeat until the end of the file. So far I have:
FileStream file = new FileStream(path, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);

if (file.CanRead)
            {
                StreamReader sr = new StreamReader(file);

while (!sr.EndOfStream)
                {
                    string buffer = sr.ReadLine();
                    List<double> valueList;
                    // now, buffer has double-precision numbers, space delimited
                    // which I want to end up in value[n]

// ... other code...
                }
            }
But what I don't know is how best to get the numbers out of buffer and into my variables. I known of a String.Split method which takes a string and breaks it up into bits... is that the right direction to go?

Advertisement
string[] values = buffer.Split(' ');

List<double> valueList = new List<double>();

foreach (string str in values)
{
valueList.Add(double.Parse(str));
}

Here is one very compact implementation of what you want:

using System.Linq;
List<double> type = File.ReadAllLines("data.txt")
.Select(row => row.Split(' '))
.SelectMany(parts => parts, (parts, value) => double.Parse(value, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture))
.ToList();

- File.ReadAllLines reads all lines of text from a file (returns string[])
- Select(row => row.Split(' ')) invokes the Split method on each row and returns IEnumerable<string[]> in this case
- SelectMany(parts => parts, (parts, value) => double.Parse(value, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)) flattens all those string arrays into a single enumeration of strings and than invokes double.Parse to convert each item into a a double, this returns an IEnumerable<double>
- finally, ToList transforms the IEnumerable<double> into a List<double>

I highly recommend to try to understand the code above. Being able to use this kind of functional paradigm is one of the most outstanding features of C# and helps a lot to write compact code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!