• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Amyrildora

Where do you start when creating a GDD for a more expansive game?

This topic is 3097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all ive recently been working on a GDD for a rpg I plan to start creating sometime next year, but Im having a block of sorts and I was wondering if you guys could help me ... When you start a GDD of a more expansive game where do you start? give me an order in which you would do these.. 1-Game story- 2-Game Ideas- (stuff you would like to see in the game) 3-Critters- (monsters you wanna see in the game) 4-Characters- (people who the player will interact with such as quest givers) 5-The player- and anything else you could think of? Thanks to all whom answer

Advertisement
I'd do:
1. Do you have a particular strong inspiration for gameplay genre, story, or particular features? If so, start with the inspiration.
2. If not, either the gameplay genre or the basic story concept should be decided first, then the other of those decided second to be compatible with the first choice.
3. Research similar games and make a list of features they have, types of gameplay goals, control systems used, whatever seems relevant.
4. Either write a plot outline or make a desired features list, then use the one you've just done to help do the other.
5. Now a development schedule, concept art, and technology choices all need to get made.

Quote:
Original post by Amyrildora
1-Game story-
2-Game Ideas- (stuff you would like to see in the game)
3-Critters- (monsters you wanna see in the game)
4-Characters- (people who the player will interact with such as quest givers)
5-The player-

None of the above. Start with the heart of the game concept. Start by understanding what exactly makes your game unique and special. Once you have that understanding, work to develop it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!