• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[Idea] Home Theft Game

This topic is 2994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Note: I do not plan on developing this currently, since I have nowhere near the skill needed to even make a game lol. Anyways, this is an idea that I thought of the other day. What I'd like to know is if this sounds like a game that is: 1) A good or bad idea (aside from the controversy there would be over parents saying that kids are being taught bad things, blah blah etc etc) 2) What would you add to it? 3) Does it sound like a game you would play? Description Basically this game is you playing as a criminal who breaks into peoples' homes and steals their items. You start outside of the house at your van, and you have an objective to complete... Some objectives I can think of are: 1) Collect $x worth the items 2) Steal a specific item that is worth a lot (such as a CD with important information) 3) Find a very important document. 4) Complete in x:x:x time. Gameplay Before the game begins, you have a list of missions you can choose from. You must build your weapon inventory and buy better weapons for better missions. YOU CANNOT BE SPOTTED BY ANYONE. If the homeowner finds you, you fail the mission. The homeowner can be waken up by any noise you may cause, or they may just already be awake. However, you can hide from them (shadows, closets, etc). There will be various ways to gain access to the house, locked rooms, etc. Certain tools may be required to access areas. Some houses may even have cameras you must dispose of first. All actions will be visible on screen with a glowing item (such as the door's lock glowing, or a camera glowing). That way you can tell what you can interact with. Once you finish your objective, you must get back to your van and the mission will end. Inventory Items Some items I have thought of would be: + Crowbar: Basic tool, can forcibly open doors and windows but will cause a loud noise, 50% chance of waking up the home owner. + Lock Picks: Opens doors silently without waking up the owner. + Gun: You can shoot off locks on doors, and take out cameras, but 100% chance to wake up home owner. + Spraypaint: Takes out cameras silently and detect trip wires. + C.S.U (Criminal Spy Unit): Allows you to track the home-owner's position and objective item. Levels Levels range from small to big. Levels included would be (from easiest to hardest): + Homes + Companies + Museums + Army Base (near impossible I'd believe) I had thought that kidnapping would be an option too, but if that's true this game would never be allowed on the market lol. GTA is already getting enough hate as it is. Hiding Areas Oh no! You woke up the home owner! You cant afford to go to jail and become someone's b***h! Don't panic! You have hiding areas: + Air ducts + Closets + Shadows + A shower with curtains (would be pretty hilarious to be stuck in a tub listening to some guy wake up and have to use the bathroom while you're feet from him silently panicking!) Or hell, you can just make a run for your van and hope they don't see you! Multiplayer Options There may be some multiplayer options here. Perhaps you could work with your friend to break into a really hard building that requires 2 or more people (someone needs to take out the security while the other person steals the items). And maybe a VS mode where you see who can steal more or complete the level the fastest (seperate houses AND same house options). Same house options would be interesting because you could perhaps sabotage each other. Conclusion So yeah, this was my idea for a theft game idea. Feedback? Suggestions? Please tell me what you think of this idea and what you would change!

Advertisement
Sounds like it could be neat.

It sounds like thered be a lot of humurous situations that you could get in.

you could make a game like this that was played monkey island or day of the tentacle style. If you did, it shouldn't be too hard to make (:

@mrchrismnh
Good idea I didn't even think of that!

@Atrix256
Originally it was supposed to be a serious game, but I've been thinking it'd be a lot more fun if it did have humerus situations. Maybe, for example, if you hid in the closet and the home owner locked the door haha. Then you're trapped!

And it may not be too hard for more experienced people, but for me it definitely is (at least right now, I'm only just getting my feet with with DirectX).

It sounds like you're a bit worried about the potential controversy, but I think the subject matter's tame in comparison to what's out there. You're not exactly advocating garroting people, after all, and if you're concerned about the moral angle make the thief a good guy who's stealing from mobsters or crooked officials or even (taking a Robin Hood angle) the filthy rich.

I think your basic gameplay is okay but you're going to have to expand a bit more on the main challenges. For instance, how would you convey stealthiness to the player-- a light and noise meter, like in games such as Splinter Cell or Thief?

In terms of failure (not being spotted ever) I think you'll need to soften it or come up with various failure states. Again Splinter Cell is good for this. You may be spotted but if your stealth levels are high enough the AI characters act with uncertainty and investigate (saying things like "what was that?" when they see you)

I'd have some concerns about how upgrading is handled as well-- particularly the ratio of reward to cost. If the tools of your trade are picks, crowbars, spraypaint and guns, it seems that what you can get out of a few average houses would more than cover this cost.

And a final thought: I'm not big on mission games where stealth is involved, especially if you can't kill your way through. Often stealth is timing and waiting, and if you've got a realistic clock at your back I think it's going to kill it unless the limit is long (and if so, then why even have it?) I wouldn't mind something like sunrise, or having X minutes before police respond once I've triggered an alarm. But a hard limit for no reason would suck.

If you get away from missions, one cool thing you could add would be a metagame involving escape and fencing. A good time limit might be a Suspicion meter, with agents investigating your own house for goods and the need to be economically savvy in order to get rid of property fast.

Thanks for the detailed reply Wavinator.

Quote:
Original post by Wavinator
I think your basic gameplay is okay but you're going to have to expand a bit more on the main challenges. For instance, how would you convey stealthiness to the player-- a light and noise meter, like in games such as Splinter Cell or Thief?

Maybe something like a meter that shows the owner's alertness level, ranging from sleeping to completely aware of your activities.[/quote]

Quote:

In terms of failure (not being spotted ever) I think you'll need to soften it or come up with various failure states. Again Splinter Cell is good for this. You may be spotted but if your stealth levels are high enough the AI characters act with uncertainty and investigate (saying things like "what was that?" when they see you)

Yeah I'd have to agree with this. Although what if it was different difficulty modes (easy being you can get seen a lot and still recover, hard being you can't even afford to be spotted).[/quote]

Quote:

I'd have some concerns about how upgrading is handled as well-- particularly the ratio of reward to cost. If the tools of your trade are picks, crowbars, spraypaint and guns, it seems that what you can get out of a few average houses would more than cover this cost.

State of the art tools? xD Lol well those could be starting weapons probably, with upgrades and new weapons (like the CSU tracking thing sounds like it'd cost a good amount of money, and perhaps EMP grenades and stuff for multiple cameras).

Quote:

And a final thought: I'm not big on mission games where stealth is involved, especially if you can't kill your way through. Often stealth is timing and waiting, and if you've got a realistic clock at your back I think it's going to kill it unless the limit is long (and if so, then why even have it?) I wouldn't mind something like sunrise, or having X minutes before police respond once I've triggered an alarm. But a hard limit for no reason would suck.

Actually I didn't plan on even putting in a time limit except for the time limit missions. Although what you said about sunrise would be a good idea, especially if you're having trouble and then you also face teh problem of the owner waking up when the sun comes up.

Quote:

If you get away from missions, one cool thing you could add would be a metagame involving escape and fencing. A good time limit might be a Suspicion meter, with agents investigating your own house for goods and the need to be economically savvy in order to get rid of property fast.

Definitely a good idea I think. Especially with the idea of being able to steal a car, you'd have to scrap that before someone could find it as a stolen vehicle!

Whoa. So far as it has been described, something like this would be on my list to play.

Yeah, I don't really have any suggestions, because it already sounds good enough.

I thought about a game like this before also. One way I was thinking it could be made for acceptable would be to put a twist on it where the home invader is the hero. Basically, the hero is in his home, minding his business. Someone breaks into his house to rob it, but in a scuffle, the robber ends up getting killed. The hero calls the police, and everything is fine (he killed him in self defense). Later that night, the hero goes to sleep. He wakes up tied to a chair in some strange building. He then realizes he has a single-ear headphone on, and there is someone talking to him. The antagonist tells him that the hero killed the most talented member of his home invasion mob, so now he has to make it up to him. The hero's wife has been kidnapped, and the mob boss is going to give him a list of places he has to rob, and certain items and dollar values he has to get out of each house, or the mob boss will kill his wife. The mob boss also has many ways to tell what the hero is doing, and to make sure he doesn't contact the police.

Playing as the hero, the player has to play along and rob the houses while getting prompts from the boss. He will give him updates about what certain targets are doing, the best entrance to certain buildings, etc. The player also has to collect clues from what he is stealing and other info sources along the way to try to get out of his situation and save his wife. If he doesn't go about it quietly, the boss will become suspicious and kill her.

I think this way, you could both make the game more acceptable, and more interesting at the same time by adding a story and having the boss as an unseen villain.

Game basically sounds like a modern day Thief. I enjoyed that game and if this version was done well enough and had an interesting "hook" I would most likely play it aswell.

Quote:
Original post by jackolantern1
Playing as the hero, the player has to play along and rob the houses while getting prompts from the boss. He will give him updates about what certain targets are doing, the best entrance to certain buildings, etc. The player also has to collect clues from what he is stealing and other info sources along the way to try to get out of his situation and save his wife. If he doesn't go about it quietly, the boss will become suspicious and kill her.

This will also explain why the hero is never willing to use violence against a homeowner. It also allows the crime boss to sell tools etc to the player at extortionate rates

Quote:
Original post by WavyVirus
Quote:
Original post by jackolantern1

This will also explain why the hero is never willing to use violence against a homeowner. It also allows the crime boss to sell tools etc to the player at extortionate rates

Very good observations! I hadn't thought about those points :)

EDIT: I think without something like this, having the game-designated option of killing the homeowner will just be too much for most players.

[Edited by - jackolantern1 on December 5, 2009 11:10:06 AM]

The idea of robbing a household while people are home seems silly to me. I can't see it being done primarily for money purposes, but instead for developing a reputation as a good thief. In my opinion, that makes a very comical premise so I think you would do well to develop the humour aspect of the game.

Also, I think you should include a planner. That could help develop the strategic and creative side of the game. For example, if you're challenged to steal a billiards table then you can work out your way of transporting it out of the house before you go in. Example: If the pool table is on the second story of a house, how are you going to get it to ground floor? Do you implement a pulley system? Are there stairs, is there an elevator, is there a window large enough to fit the billiard table out of? Do you attach wheels to the billiard table's legs to allow it to move easier? Maybe you need to spend the night prior to the heist in order to survey the place and get the measurements of the pool table's legs so that you can fit wheels on comfortably.

If you're going to have upgradable equipment, my advice is to be creative with it. I'd like to see knockout gas which you can rig to doors so they explode upon someone opening the door. Definitely a good way to ensure someone doesn't wake up and leave their bedroom.

Finally, a way to develop the Robin Hood idea. Should you be a righteous thief and yet you are told to steal from someone who is good, what plan of action do you take? Do you ask for a reassignment or do you steal the goods and return them later or otherwise reimburse the victim?

I think a much better idea would be to play on 80s/90s diamond heist genre with a comedic cartoony style similar to Dick Dastardly/Pink Panther, where the player is a robber trying to steal infamous diamonds that are hidden behind complex security setups.

Quote:

Also, I think you should include a planner. That could help develop the strategic and creative side of the game. For example, if you're challenged to steal a billiards table then you can work out your way of transporting it out of the house before you go in. Example: If the pool table is on the second story of a house, how are you going to get it to ground floor? Do you implement a pulley system? Are there stairs, is there an elevator, is there a window large enough to fit the billiard table out of? Do you attach wheels to the billiard table's legs to allow it to move easier? Maybe you need to spend the night prior to the heist in order to survey the place and get the measurements of the pool table's legs so that you can fit wheels on comfortably.

I didn't even think of that. And who steals a pool table haha that seems kind of large to steal while someone's at home. And are you talking about a planner as in someone on the team to plan this stuff out? Or are you talking about a planner in-game to help you plan out how you're getting the stuff out of the house?

Quote:

If you're going to have upgradable equipment, my advice is to be creative with it. I'd like to see knockout gas which you can rig to doors so they explode upon someone opening the door. Definitely a good way to ensure someone doesn't wake up and leave their bedroom.

Very good idea!

Quote:

Finally, a way to develop the Robin Hood idea. Should you be a righteous thief and yet you are told to steal from someone who is good, what plan of action do you take? Do you ask for a reassignment or do you steal the goods and return them later or otherwise reimburse the victim?

This tempts me to want to make something like Fable where if you're a good thief you look pure, but if you're an evil thief you start looking dark and sinister.

Quote:
Original post by xSynapse
… where the player is a robber trying to steal infamous diamonds that are hidden behind complex security setups.
You might want to take a look at Traitor's Gate. While it was pretty much universally panned by the media, I thought it took a halfway-decent stab at this type of gameplay.

Quote:
Original post by BlackRetina
The idea of robbing a household while people are home seems silly to me. I can't see it being done primarily for money purposes, but instead for developing a reputation as a good thief. In my opinion, that makes a very comical premise so I think you would do well to develop the humour aspect of the game.

Well...it happens every day lol. Not while there are people up and walking around, but while everyone is asleep. In fact, the idea of watching a house during the day and waiting for the owners to leave is rather new in western culture (mostly because there was almost always the mother at home). However, people have been creeping into homes at night while everyone is in bed for centuries. The idea that someone was in the home while everyone was asleep is quite a scary idea for most people that it happens to, so I don't know about it being a source of humor.

Quote:
Original post by applejacks
Quote:

I didn't even think of that. And who steals a pool table haha that seems kind of large to steal while someone's at home. And are you talking about a planner as in someone on the team to plan this stuff out? Or are you talking about a planner in-game to help you plan out how you're getting the stuff out of the house?

Quote:

Very good idea!

Quote:

This tempts me to want to make something like Fable where if you're a good thief you look pure, but if you're an evil thief you start looking dark and sinister.

Interpret the planner function as you like. It could be a device or a party member, it's up to you. I would just make sure to include a planning interface before entering into the target premise(s).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement