flash conversion possible?

Started by
4 comments, last by Dae 14 years, 4 months ago
I'd like to create a simple game development kit in C++ and output a game for flash. Is this possible? Has anyone done this? I've also been looking at silverlight, which seems to be based on C#. More or less, I want a tool that does not require the end user to purchase an expensive flash kit. I don't suppose there is a library for something like this? Advice?
Advertisement
Your topic title mentions flash conversion -- what do you want to convert into flash?

As for developing flash without buying expensive software, there are already free alternatives ;)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/55075/can-i-develop-flash-without-buying-anything

http://www.flashdevelop.org
I think you'll struggle to just happen upon the source code for Flash. Maybe there's some documentation out there on the bytecode (a quick Google turns up results for "flasm") and work from there e.g. having your C++ program be a compiler of flash ASM.
thanks, i'll check these out.
I've been using haXe for a while now - it's pretty interesting in that it can be used to target Flash, PHP, &#106avascript, Neko (a virtual machine) and C++. Combined with FlashDevelop it's a pretty strong choice. FlashDevelop can also be used to write ActionScript, of course - combined with the Flex SDK you should be good to go just as well.<br><br>By tossing out the Flash authoring tools, creating vector art and animations is going to be more difficult, but perhaps you can process the output of a free vector-art program (for example, Inkscape), or simply stick to raster art.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
I've been using haXe for a while now - it's pretty interesting in that it can be used to target Flash, PHP, &#106avascript, Neko (a virtual machine) and C++. Combined with FlashDevelop it's a pretty strong choice. FlashDevelop can also be used to write ActionScript, of course - combined with the Flex SDK you should be good to go just as well.

By tossing out the Flash authoring tools, creating vector art and animations is going to be more difficult, but perhaps you can process the output of a free vector-art program (for example, Inkscape), or simply stick to raster art.

I've just begun using haXe as well. Not only can you ditch that slow and dreadful Adobe IDE/Flex compiler, but you can develop natively on Linux, and your SWF will come out faster if you take advantage of it's features. It can also output SWC's or AS3 to use in Adobe's authoring tools. I've pondered if you could create your vector art and animations in Flash IDE, and import the SWF in haXe. I believe you can, but it probably has limitations.

Oh and to the OP the only options I know of are haXe and Alchemy (Adobe's C/C++ to AS bytecode compiler).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement