• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Benjagan91

Just another new guy =)

This topic is 3269 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Ok so i want to get into 3D but not necessarily games. What then? Maybe making GUIs a little more exciting for applications... or whatever. Anyways i've touched base with VB6, and have done plenty of HTML... so yeah... this practically makes me as newbie as every other newcomer i guess. So where do i start? I've never done C or C++ and i'd prefer to jump into the deep end and start with 3D right away if possible. I know you'll likely tell me baby steps at first and whatever, but i'm just eager to learn. I also understand if the 3D tutorials are geared for people who already know 2D/C++. Platform i'd like to code for? Well i'd like to be able to choose... whether it be a computer (win, mac, lin), a game console... whatever =) So guide me on the right path, please =) Regards, Ben

Advertisement
If you want to go 3D there are tons of other options than going the long, hard, frustrating, etc. C++ approach. Here's a few.

Unity Game Dev Tool. This thing is awesome. Used to be $300 for the indie version; now it's free enjoy! You can script in javascript or c# and it'll make some badass 3D programs.

If you go python, you can use Panda 3D.

There are also some C# options. There are engines and libraries that make use of C#.

If you insist on C++ you can use some 3D rendering engines/game engines. There are many of these Ogre, Irrlicht, Crystal Space.

Personally, I'd recommend Unity (good quality and free). This will get you the fastest results, but you still have to write scripts to make it all work. With yr vb experience you may be able to get up and running nicely. Also, it targets web, Windows and Mac right out of the box. And putting it on the web is so easy.

[Edited by - signal_ on December 4, 2009 1:47:49 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!