Visual Studio Intellisense responds slowly

Started by
8 comments, last by Atrix256 14 years, 4 months ago
I just recently got Visual Studio 2008 and Intellisense seems to work find with C# and other languages. However, I noticed today that when I was working with directX that it seemed to respond pretty slowly in C++. Example:

WNDCLASSEX wc;
wc.style = ...;
Let's say I type wc., and I'm waiting for the popup. If I type it fast like a regular sentence, no popup occurs. However, if I type wc, and then wait about 5 seconds and type the ., it pops up (as if Visual Studio is having a delay in loading the popup options). Now it's nothing I can't live without... but it's extremely annoying. Has anyone had this problem too?
Advertisement
You can reset Intellisense by deleting the .ncb file and restarting VS. It will do a full rebuild of the lookup tables. This works well if Intellisense loses it's mind and says that it can't find any info to display. This can happen if you are building your routines by hand as I do alot for my common classes...

******************************************************************************************
Youtube Channel

Hi..
It may also due to your slow speed of your server...
Generally .NET makes the system slower...
No need to worry about it, If you get irritated by waiting long time better remove the intellisense.

My solution was an upgrade to Visual Assist X
Game development blog and portfolio: http://gamexcore.co.uk
FWIW, though I haven't tried any of the betas or anything, they claim that intellisense in VS2010 will be exponentially better.
They say that with each release of visual studio :) Let's hope it has a bit more truth in it this time.
Quote:Original post by Black Knight
They say that with each release of visual studio :) Let's hope it has a bit more truth in it this time.

Why hope? Try here. Its still beta so it will likely change more between now and release.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

It is much improved, in performance, breadth and accuracy. At least at the outset. At least some of the current Intellisense problems with C++ appear over time, as the .ncb database becomes crufty. I haven't used 2010 with C++ extensively enough to get a good idea, but I'm pretty sure there will be at least an incremental improvement since the older NCB system was abandoned in favor of something newer.
Quote:My solution was an upgrade to Visual Assist X

I also use visual assist and where i work everyone has a copy as well. VAX ftw

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement