• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Plz Advice on my idea !!??

This topic is 2996 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi.. as part of my final year project i hav decided to create a game.. I have decided to create a game with AI in flash 8 using AS2.. i hav an intermediate skill in Action Scripting 2.0 and i am learning game programming... My idea is to create a very simple RPG game in flash but with AI concepts.. so far i am searching for ideas. .. and the time constraint is 2 months... Is it possible to make my project a reality???? Like if i carry on learning will i be able to do a RPG type of game in Flash??? I don't have a team and i am doing my project alone... So is it possible to make such an game within the specified time constraints???.. as i have no other idea for my final year project.. So please advice on what steps should i follow?? it wud be really really gr8full

Advertisement
It is very possible for you to be able to make an RPG in two months. However this means you realy have to put in the hours. As for the AI part I would hold it off for a while. Get the basic mechanics working.

If you aren't confident in you skills in flash i would suggest a project more in line with an old arcade game. Like astroids, tetris och pacman. Maybe even supermario.

Good luck

Thanks for the promising reply.. I don't mind putting in the hours at all... i am more than willing to do it.. As far the old arcade game goes the examiners want a more conceptual based game like it must have AI ,physics engine and animation..Its the AI part that makes me a bit worried as i have no experience in AI but i am willing to learn...

RPG games can be quite time-consuming, have high art requirements, and are generally difficult for beginners, but it would be possible. However, I think some games that would be more simple to develop could show off AI use better (if that is the main point of the project). How about a spaceship games where the player tries to kill an enemy spaceship, sort of like the Atari game Spacewars (I think that is what it was called)? You could add all kinds of power-ups, and the movement of the enemy ship and its strategy would definitely show off AI. Or really any other game that is viewed from an overhead perspective where both the player and the computer move their avatars around 360 degrees and try to either kill each other or collect items would work out well. They aren't that difficult to develop, a lot can be added to spice it up, they are generally easier to polish, and they can show off enemy AI quite nicely.

Whether or not it's possible depends a lot on your skill level and your experience. Either way, it's perfectly possible to create a basic RPG with Actionscript (2.0? Why not 3.0?). There are physics engines available, animations can be done with CS3, and AI is going to take some research and programming.

If you're unsure about what to do, ask your examiners for more information. Find out what exactly they're looking for. Now, 'AI' may sound pretty daunting, but you shouldn't worry too much about that. Take a look at the AI forum board here on Gamedev.net and look around on sites like aigamedev.com. They'll give you some idea of what designs are commonly used. In the end, however, it's not about fancy systems and designs, it's about what your game needs. It's about making sensible choices, making things work in a way that suits your game. It's possible that you're making some wrong choices here and there, that some things are getting messy. It happens - learn from it, perhaps refactor some things if time allows.

Either way, good luck. :)

EDIT: jackolantern1 makes a good point: RPG's are generally content-heavy, and most of them rely more on quest systems and monster/item databases and all that infrastructure than that they're AI showcases. Perhaps writing a map/dungeon generator is an interesting project? Rogue-likes often employ such methods.

Influence Maps are a tool used to make decisions in Game AI and could be coded fairly quickly ontop of a 2D interface to present the scenario being evaluated (the flash part).

You have an object that is making a decision and you have the other friendlyy or enemy objects that have their influence mapped onto a terrain grid (positive or negative influence hased on distance from each object). The final summation is used to pick the next place your object wants to move to.

Variations include line of sight effect on teh concentric cirular influence patterns.

Ontop of that basic mechanism you could add a 'Learning' that evaluates more than one influence factor and assigns them different weights (or even distance fall-off functions besides the simple linear function).

Ontop of that, pathfinding (like A*) could use the Influence Map data to evaluate a best path to some objective (or to pick easiest/least risky option between several similar objectives -- target positions on the map)

A* you can find code examples online

The influence map is largely trivial

The flash aspect need be fairly simple because its simply presentation and doesnt need alot of polish.

The examiners have said that they would accept my game idea only if it has strong AI and other concepts and and i should show them the AI part and where all i optimize the different algorithms i use when explaining it to them.... @jackolantern1:Now by moving the avatar around 360 degrees u mean the camera angles right??. My head is really in a mess as i don't know whether i should think of a simple game concept like having two teams and each team wants to outdo the other and place their own flag atop a hill could i show AI concepts like team member recognition ,following orders from a team leader and strategic decisions.. The idea of 360 degree perspective seemed great too.. I am really very confused with dreaming upon an idea to show AI concepts as sometimes i have an RPG idea or an simple one like i mentioned above.... And what should i do for optimizing like should i develop two versions of the same game one with AI and other using a less sophisticated algorithm?? I am sorry if i am asking it wrongly but this is what is in my head...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement