• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Reznor91

troubled beggining programmer

This topic is 3178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been programming for about over a year know dabbling in a few languages mostly java as that is the language i am using in college but i have also went through some C++ and C# but after this year i am moving onto a games development specific course but besides that fact i have always been thinking about C# and XNA as a way of developing some games i was wondering should i follow the C# road with XNA or continue on to C++ as that is the most common language for Games development as far as i know but if i should go with C# how much C# should i know before i tackle the challenge of XNA sorry if this post is over the top or anything any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Advertisement
A common factor in many programming languages is the use of the period as a frequently employed symbol. Interestingly enough, such a symbol is also commonly found in sentences of English origin. Since this is an English forum and the words in your sentences appear to be of English construction, I find it extremely odd and fascinating that there is only to be found a single instance in your entire post.

i don't take care of my punctuation when posting i just keep typing your response was irrelevant i was looking for help not correction on my grammar i do take care when i am coding

I think Mike.Popoloski was subtly suggesting that you should "take care" of your punctuation when posting. Not using any punctuation makes you look lazy. If you're too lazy to bother with punctuation, why should anyone here put the effort into answering your question? I had to read your block of text twice to have half a clue as to what in the heck it is you were even asking. Revise and restate your question and I bet you'll get more helpful advice. That and you can try the search option for the forum, because what I get out of what you're asking has been asked many, many times.

Right, you want answers. We don't want to sift through a barely coherent posts to provide them. Surely we can come to some arrangement...

What u need do is to figure out which language you want 2 use for example java is easier get webb applications working with than c++ but for most fast games i think people are more likely to use c++ because of memory management also there is python which gets used for scripting sometimes this is used with c++ also if you use c# that can be used with XNA architecture so that might be better than c++ but it might be better to learn c++ first or even c first because c++omes from c a lot of people say that you should learn more than one language and i think that is true learning more than one language gives you more perspective of what you want to use, eg c++, c, java, cobol, XNA, c# and then you also need to decide what game you are going 2 make there is platform game (super mario, braid) also fps (doom, doom2, doom3) sandbox (crackdown, gta games, space station silicon valley) the important thing is to get a really good book on the language you want to use you can get books at bookstore, online (amazon, ebay) or websites have book type formats that can be used too good luck with figuring out computer languages yes I will yes.

Thanks for the help.I have just been a bit put off by C++ because a friend of mine is near the end of his course and he keeps telling me all of his coding horror stories with C++ such as garbage collecting and some of the new features added in with the 0x standard.

Don't know which dialect/extension your friend was using but standard C++ (yes I know C++/CLI is also standardized) doesn't have a garbage collector. You have to do it yourself which is worth as a horror story if you make something wrong.

The features that will be added to C++0x may confuse beginner but some will be very helpfull.

Learn as much languages as possible. Learn as much different languages as possible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!