Contractor

Started by
6 comments, last by jrjellybean 14 years, 4 months ago
If you get offers like x month contract position at £xxx per day What does that mean in reality? If we are talking well-established studios. If you have to work 6 days in a week due to milestones, will you get paid for 6 days or just 5? I guess there generally is no overtime compensation, or is it? Thanks
Advertisement
If you have no other information to go on, assume a normal work week.

You will need to get additional details before agreeing to the job.

Contracts are open to negotiation. That kind of contract is generally exempt from overtime and other compensation. If it were an hourly contract then they generally specify an overtime rate. They may specify that the overtime rate is the same as the regular rate, or 1.5x, or whatever. They might be willing to negotiate, or not.

Contract work has some extra things you need to know.

There may be additional tax implications if you work by contract. You may need to set aside some money every month to cover it.

Because there are no other compensation packages with the contract they generally pay more than traditional salary positions. You should negotiate the ability to take sick/vacation days, although they will not be paid.

Most well-established companies try to treat contractors fairly. The benefit is that they have less tax and benefits cost, and they are more easily fired.
Quote:Original post by frob
If you have no other information to go on, assume a normal work week.

You will need to get additional details before agreeing to the job.

Contracts are open to negotiation. That kind of contract is generally exempt from overtime and other compensation. If it were an hourly contract then they generally specify an overtime rate. They may specify that the overtime rate is the same as the regular rate, or 1.5x, or whatever. They might be willing to negotiate, or not.

Contract work has some extra things you need to know.

There may be additional tax implications if you work by contract. You may need to set aside some money every month to cover it.

Because there are no other compensation packages with the contract they generally pay more than traditional salary positions. You should negotiate the ability to take sick/vacation days, although they will not be paid.

Most well-established companies try to treat contractors fairly. The benefit is that they have less tax and benefits cost, and they are more easily fired.

Thanks, I will ask them. You wrote that contractors are more easily fired. If I sign a contract for x month am I guarantied to get paid for these or can I be fired any day?
I'm not sure if it is any different in the UK, which I doubt it does, but generally contractors can be let go without cause in the US.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by 51mon
Thanks, I will ask them. You wrote that contractors are more easily fired. If I sign a contract for x month am I guarantied to get paid for these or can I be fired any day?
There should be a termination clause in the contract.

It should state what is required by either party to terminate the contract.

Why would you ask the people giving you the contract for help with the contract? Are you expecting them to tell you all the bad bits you shouldn't sign? Rule #1 - never take advise from the other party in a negotiation/business deal. It is their job to get the best deal for them, not for you.

You need to take independent advice from a lawyer.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Obscure

Why would you ask the people giving you the contract for help with the contract? Are you expecting them to tell you all the bad bits you shouldn't sign? Rule #1 - never take advise from the other party in a negotiation/business deal. It is their job to get the best deal for them, not for you.

You need to take independent advice from a lawyer.

Well, I just asked them for certain detail in the contract. If they have told me things through mail, then I assume they work as agreements and should be in the contract?
Regarding anything about the terms of the contract, you should just ask the other party what they are expecting of you.

Then, if you find something not agreeable or not to your liking you address the problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement