• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
icilian fenner

Calling an arbitrary number of classes - C++

This topic is 3179 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this question is the n00b of the n00bs, but since I'm having no joy on google, I thought I'd ask here. If I want to generate an unknown number of balls, for instance, that have a class associated with them, how do I do that? Until now I've been naming individual instances like so: ball ball1; How can I call a previously unspecified number of these classes, on demand? So, for instance, when a user clicks, a new instance of the class ball is created? Now, I appreciate that the information is probably out there somewhere, so if you don't feel like giving an explanation to the whole thing, just tell me what I need to google and I'll get on with that. ;) The question is posted here 'cause I'm having no luck doing it myself. Cheers [Edited by - icilian fenner on December 5, 2009 7:47:27 AM]

Advertisement
I only recently learnt about the standard template library's containers.
You can check them out here: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/
For a system where balls will be added and or removed all the time, I would suggest a list (but I'm new to them, I could be wrong...)

You store them in a container. The simplest container is an array, but an array has an arbitrary upper limit on the number of objects it can store. Consider using the Standard C++ Library type std::vector<>, which is a dynamic array to store your objects.

Okay, I've had a crack at this, and am having a newb frustration time. Darn teething pains.

How am I to give a specific (but modifiable) name to the classes? I appreciate how to store using a vector (thank you very much for turning me on to that), but I'm still a little lost as to how to generate unique names for each of my instances?

I may well be thinking of this the wrong way, but I'm having one of those blank 'head against the wall' moments.

You can use the [] operator to get access to each value in a vector. Remember the first value is number 0 (not number 1)
std::vector<ball> balls;

balls.resize(3);//make 3 balls

//get some hard-coded references to these balls
ball& ball_1 = balls[0];
ball& ball_2 = balls[1];
ball& ball_3 = balls[2];

ball_1.BounceOff( ball_2 );
ball_3.DoSomething();

//loop over every ball
for( int i=0; i<balls.size(); ++i )
{
ball& ball_i = balls;
ball_i.DoSomething();
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!