Need help in making a decision

Started by
5 comments, last by jrjellybean 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi everyone! I kind of need good and helpful advice about a problem i have. currently i got to a university majoring in business management entrepreneur track and computer science with a minor in digital media. my problem right now is ive taken a few programming class (C, java) and i just dont feel that passionate for programming. But i was looking at minoring in CS since im just 2 class shy of getting a minor in it. but what i wanted to know is, is getting a minor in computer science helpful for a person like me that is majoring in business?!?! any good feed back is appreciated and thanks in advance. i appreciate anyone that could help me ^^.
Advertisement
Depends on the industry you go into, but having a little bit of formal CS would be beneficial for a variety of reasons. One, if you work in any sort of software related industry it'll certainly allow you to better relate to the programmer. Two, CS teaches you to break things down into their individual pieces, look for an apply patterns, etc. These concepts can be applied to much more than simply computer science.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
If i still wanted to go into the game industry not as a programmer but maybe something..else!? Would the minor still help me...
You said you were majoring in "business management entrepreneur track". If you are actually wanting to be an entrepreneur being able to do most of your own computer work such as building websites, making small modifications to programs, managing your own small databases, creating your own spreadsheets, etc. will save you a fortune. Most other entrepreneurs try to either get by without having these things (and pay dearly for it) or pay someone else hefty funds to do it for them.

Almost everyone could be helped by knowing at least a bit of coding. Maybe not heavy C++, Java or C# stuff, but a bit of XHTML, CSS and PHP can go a long way towards entrepreneur ingenuity and freedom.
hmm wow that is a good point. I never thought of that o.o. Thanks for that wonderful feed back. If anyone else has input please do tell ^^>
Quote:Original post by amatsuki
i just dont feel that passionate for programming. ... but what i wanted to know is, is getting a minor in computer science helpful for a person like me that is majoring in business?!?!
What ARE you passionate about?

What do you do in your free time? What topics are there that when you see them you have to jump in and tell them the right way to do it? What do you read when you don't have to?

The advice is the same regardless of the field:

Are you passionate about busienss? Do you enjoy conversations about business topics? Do you talk with friends about when companies are making great decisions? Do you talk about improvements companies could make? Do you get in heated arguments about the topic?

If you are passionate about it, then follow it. Otherwise, now is a great time to change course.

Are you passionate about computer science? Do you enjoy the details of computers and programming? Do you talk with your friends about code you saw or wrote? Do you talk about ugly code and what could make it better? Do you get in heated arguments about the topic?

If you are passionate about it, then follow it. Otherwise now is a great time to change course.

Are you passionate about ____? Do you enjoy the details of it? Do you talk with your freinds about the good things you saw? Do you talk about bad things and how to make it better? Do you get in heated arguments about the topic?

If you are not passionate about a subject you are following, you should think HARD about why you are following it. On the flip side, if you are passionate about a subject you aren't in you should consider why you are NOT following it.

Read this thread about a former coworker of mine. You might find it enlightening.
Take the two CS classes and get a minor in it.

It will probably help you as it will challenge your mind and you will understand the minds of a computer programmer better.

In any case, learning anything is always good!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement