• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Packet List? Questions.

This topic is 2999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was asked to create a packet list for a programmer as to what each packet will contain. Now I don't even know where to begin. This is my thought. Client -> Server 1 second packet - ping 1/15th of a second packet - location - direction - move speed On skill packet - location (client side will determine where it hit, then send to server to determine if anyone is there) - damage (client will determine damage) Server -> Client 1 second packet - pong Server will then check the 1/15th of a second packet and make sure the location is the same as what the server has, otherwise send back. - updated location On skill packet will check to see if anyone is in that location, if they are they will send On skill return packet - damage (client will do armour subtraction) I know there are several other packets sent, but is this alright for a basics of the packets? My goal is to keep as much on the client as possible in regards to the battle. Server will mostly just be there to fix corrections and prevent hacking. I also want to prevent map hacking/cheating, what would be a good way to do this? I'm assuming if I only sent locations for nearby enemies, the user would not be able to detect the other users. Am I correct in this assumption?

Advertisement
What kind of game are you making? The number of players and how "real time" the data is are massive requirements, these will dictate almost everything about your network structure.

Quote:

My goal is to keep as much on the client as possible in regards to the battle. Server will mostly just be there to fix corrections and prevent hacking.

If you want to prevent hacking, the best solution is to do as much on the server as possible.

Quote:

I also want to prevent map hacking/cheating, what would be a good way to do this? I'm assuming if I only sent locations for nearby enemies, the user would not be able to detect the other users. Am I correct in this assumption?

It depends. In a game with a spectator mode, a hacked client can initiate a standard game connection and a spectator connection, which might give it estimates for the positions of other enemies. In any case, its the nearby enemies that are of most interest to the hacker anyway. If you have a player crouching behind a wall or just around a corner and your server sends the position of the player regardless of line of sight checks (which might be prohibitively expensive) then wall hacks will be quite possible.

The game will have a max of 8 people vs 8 people. It will be FPS, but without all the FPS elements (jumping, crouching, walls, first person camera, etc). However it will contain the shooting and other parts.

The wall hacking I am not worried about, as there is no walls. It is knowing where everyone on the map is, that I am worried about.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement