• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MarkS

Any good resources on shader development?

This topic is 3242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to play around with vertex and pixel shaders, but I'm not sure how to get started. I'm looking for something that 1.) is not NeHe, and 2.) is written with the assumption that the reader has never touched shaders, and 3.) has a good normal mapping example. I know that Google is my friend, but between juggling work and school, I simply do not have the time to sift through all of the results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Advertisement
I'm sorry. I was in a rush and those last two sentences came out totally wrong.

I'm looking for either inline references or books that cover this, though I'd prefer online. The problem with doing a search for online tutorials is that the quality can be quite poor (NeHe, for example, has caused me major headaches while learning I was learning OpenGL). I'd like to hear from those that have found decent and helpful online tutorials.

Not sure about online tutorials, I'm reading the OpenGL Redbook (fifth edition) and Interactive Computer Graphics: A Top Down Approach by Edward Angel (text book used at my university). Booth really good books. You might also check out the Orangebook aka OpenGL Shading Language, Second Edition. Not sure about online sources because I feel books have more complete coverage of the subject matter, but you can check out this website also:

http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/index.shtml

The have some good stuff there. Also you may want to check out the offical OpenGL website. Here is a link to a few tutorials I found there.

http://www.opengl.org/code/category/C20

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!