• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rajan

2D assistance.

This topic is 3256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, new to this site but not new to programming. Basically I have coded without graphics, and now I am coding a game which requires 2D graphics. A 2D image for a background, some menus for the same screen, very basic rpg with very basic graphics. I have been looking around, but everything seems to jump to an advanced level graphically. I am not wanting to write a 3D game, its a game with static images and menus. I would appreciate it if someone on this crazy site could direct me to some code that would help or something that will allow me to write this, an engine or a 2D game with simple images etc. Even a something which explains how to display an image as a background image for a game. I will always help out in return. I have Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. Making this step from serious coding to coding with images not graphics necassarily will really really help. Please. Thankyou. If anyone has any suggestion, small or big, it could help [Edited by - Rajan on December 5, 2009 2:34:41 PM]

Advertisement
I have SDL downloaded. version 1.2.14 or something similar. Basically I have a game that I want to code. I can code the game stuff but the issue I have right now is the Background Image of the game, its jpeg or bitmap i think. It will basically sit at the back and do nothing, I will have Menus on either side of the screen and on top of the map little icons will appear.

There will character screens that display an image with the character info. but the issue is the same, I need to get my image on the screen and I need a little guidance.

I will happily send u the game to see it when its done but right now the hardest part is to get the image on the screen.

If you have any suggestions in regards to SDL I would be smiling all week if its successful

I'm an assistant in a course for beginners OOP and game development at a university in Sweden. Most of the material is in Swedish, but this game example is in English and shows the basic OO structure of an arcade game and also how to draw to the screen and handle input.

http://www.ida.liu.se/~TDP005/kursmaterial/SDL_GameDemo/

Edit: Ooops, forgot to add the uri

I am just going to check the links that were suggested and I will get back to you's.

Fingers crossed

so I installed Dark GDK and now i'm getting the background to work.

thankyou guys for your help

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!