• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Coding from a flash drive ??

This topic is 3001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how one would go about setting up a compiler on a flash drive so that they could work on a project on any computer, without requiring an internet connection (eg: non-remote desktop methods) or 'installing' the compiler into the OS (adding menu entries and system variables, registry entries, etc).. Ideally I need something up to par with DevC++. Something I could just unzip/rar and use, without any redundant 'install' process that obliterates the possibility of using the compiler off a flash drive. Anyone know of anything or any way I could do this ? Thanks.

Advertisement
Yes, CodeBlocks is simply unzipping the program and it's 'installed'. It's really great and is somewhat considered to follow up DevC++ which is deprecated.

But for any OS you need other binaries for the IDE and for the compiler I guess?

Are you talking about a compiler or are you talking about an IDE?

Compilers are fairly easy to set up like that. You just dump the things on the drive and make sure your build scripts have the correct parameters. Done.

You were talking about Windows, so simply download their full compiler (free) and any SDKs that you need (Windows SDK, DirectX SDK, etc., also free) and stick them in the folder tree.

You'll need to configure your build scripts for the right directories and such, but that isn't a hard thing.

For a debugger go get Microsoft Windows Debugger (part of the debugging tools set) and install it on the flash drive too.

All of these will run just fone from a flash drive with no installation.

If you want more advanced features such as the debug versions of drivers, you will need to install something to the machine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement