Mentor Volunteers?

Started by
2 comments, last by jackolantern1 14 years, 4 months ago
Hello there, I've registered only recently to this site. I'm currently interested in game development, I am however not very capable in producing games from my ideas. I was hopeful that one of you characters at this website with far more experience then me, would be willing to be my mentor on this matter. I'm currently most eager to learn and study C++, so I may gain the capabilities to program the computer games. That way I can actually get things to do what I want them to, and such. I currently have some ideas for games, and I'm eager to start learning so that one day I may make them. Sound: I am currently slightly able to make sounds, for games to help in this task. Level Design: Little next to none, I do however have some. I am currently working on a map using Valve's Source SDK Hammer editor. But I'm still a novice so it isn't that great. Modeling: None. Sorry. Materialing: Again, none. Sorry. Programming: Sparse, and not very advanced, or quite even complete basic. My utmost apologies.
Advertisement
What about games most appeals to you? What elements in a game inspire you the most to be involved in their development? Do you see yourself as creative, attentive to detail or both? These questions would help you be able to pick a goal position such as game artist or QA tester. Check out this article for game development positions.

I will be glad to answer your questions in PMs if you want to be a programmer [C++/DirectX9], game artist or game designer since I love to read, write, create things and work with code. I started early with designing, and I have a couple years of programming under by belt. (no commercial projects) However, I am in college and would certainly not qualify as a pro yet. I'll be happy to talk with you if you need me, but just know I am also learning myself and I won't be afraid to tell you things that may hurt. (I've heard them in this very forum)

Let's leave it at this, I can try to be as much of a mentor as I can be, but remember I am just a stranger elsewhere that will only be able to talk when time allows. Despite my lack of industry experience, I wouldn't post here if I wasn't confident I could help you. Fire over PMs when you are ready, but for a disclaimer, don't be too surprised if I send you back to this forum if I'm not 100% on something. [smile]

Cheers!
Honestly man, the best thing for you to do is to just pick a subject and run with it. When I got my start in the biz I focused on technology (engineering), and have been able to use it (and UI art & design I picked up along the way) in the industry. And although in my time in I have earned moderate competencies in technical, game, & level design, its a hard road, and there is still alot I don't know. Right now the greatest danger for your is to try to learn it all. It'll take you a few decades, trust me I know.

Specialize first, cause that will get you the job, generalize later, once your already in. Once your in, you'll be able to build a network of colleagues that will be more than happy to show you whatever you'd like to know. (In fact, sometimes the challange is to get them to shut up about it)

Try and pursue a traditional degree, game degree's are cool but if you fail to get in or if it just takes a long time to break-in your in for some hard times. (Not to mention what might happen if you end up hating the job, we do alot of overtime brotha, and we get paid salary not hourly) Besides, you can go out and buy books and other educational material based on what it is your trying to learn. Just takes a bit of planning and self-discipline.

As far as a mentor, what do you think game dev is? If you post a question, chances are someone is going to reply. I myself have gotten stuck (particularly in engineering and in new areas of interest) and where do you think I go? Here. If your curious, ask a question. Someone is either gonna explain it to you or point you in a direction where you can learn more, if not both. Just remember, every member of this online community shares a love of video games, be it as a hobby or a profession. Makes it a useful asset, use it. I wish you the best man, see you in the forums.
I am surprised no one has mentioned the "Adopt a Newb" program that has been going on in the Help Wanted forum. Check it out, post that you are looking for a mentor, and you will likely get one as long as you are patient. There are quite a few more people looking for mentors than there are mentors, so it may take a little bit. However, there is a lot of experience and guidance being given out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement