• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gfxnomad

Normal detail encoding

This topic is 3241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm trying to implement section 2.3 of this paper. I'm doing it in the process of trying to implement another multiresolution mesh processing paper. The problem is essentially as follows. I have a mesh (M^{j-1}) that is a simplified (e.g. coarsened or decimated) version of a mesh M^{j}. Additionally, I'm given a set of points P = {p_{0}, ... , p_{k}} which correspond to vertex positions in the mesh M^{j} which have been removed in M^{j-1}. The goal is to encode the positions of the points in P such that each is expressed as a set of barycentric coordinates over some triangle in M^{j-1} and some height in the direction of the phong normal field over this triangle. In other words, I'm trying to find a triangle in M^{j-1} and a set of barycentric coordinates in this triangle such that a point from the original mesh resides strictly in the normal direction at this point. The paper claims this can be done using a few steps of Newton iteration, but the setup of the problem is not immediately clear to me from the paper (granted, I'm running on a bit less sleep than usual). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Rob [Edited by - gfxnomad on December 6, 2009 1:36:53 PM]

Advertisement
Whoops! I didn't mean to post this in the AI section. Could the moderator please move this thread to the appropriate section? Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas on this. I'm really sort of stuck. In addition, I think that the equations for Fu Fv Fuu Fvv, and Fuv in the paper (in section 2.3) may also be incorrect; as Fu seems to have no actual dependence on u !

Cheers,
Rob

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!