[java] What Do I Download To Make Games In Java?

Started by
6 comments, last by Ron AF Greve 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi,My name is Tanner and I want to start making games in Java and need to know what program to download I've downloaded JDK 6, Jcreator, and Jmonkey and a whole bunch of stuff but nothing seems to work please help me. Thanks,Tanner
what does a man gain if he gains the world but loses his soul?
Advertisement
can you make a "Hello World" program?

Need to figure out if it's Java or the Libraries that are the problem. Don't worry Java is a HUGE pain to setup the first few times, so nothing unexpected. (I atleast think that setting up Java is 10 times more difficult than it should be).
Well when I try to run JDK 6, JMonkey Dr.Java they all come up with a error message that says this is not a valid Win32 application, JCreator poped up and seemed to work ok but when I try to run the program It said I needed to download two other programs to make this one work and I never got around to it and now my free tails over and I have to buy it and I don't really want to spend $90.
what does a man gain if he gains the world but loses his soul?
What do you get when you run the Command Prompt(windows prompt). and Use the commands Java -version and Javac -version.

I'm also not familar enough with the libraries/applications you're using to know what error messages you're getting and similar. Are you trying to use something like RPG maker or trying to use the programming language Java.
JCreator is just an integrated development environment, no need to pay for that if you are just a beginner. I'm not a Java developer but I believe NetBeans is one of the best Java IDEs around, which shouldn't be surprising considered it is developed by the same company that develops Java itself.

The JMonkeyEngine site has tutorials on how to set it up with NetBeans, but I get the feeling you aren't nearly ready for 3D game development. Once again I'm not a Java developer so I don't know much about what Java tutorials are good but you might start here to learn the basics.

Just download the Eclipse IDE, which is everything you'll need for a long time.

---visit my game site http://www.boardspace.net - free online strategy games

I started out using JGRASP. It's very simple and good if you want to make small programs without all the bells and whistles of a full on IDE. Recently I've moved onto using Netbeans which I like quite a lot.

www.jgrasp.org (i think) tells you how to install and use it with the jdk already installed on your system.
Quote:Original post by Venevus
Recently I've moved onto using Netbeans which I like quite a lot.

I second that. I have used it for various things lately (although non-game related, business stuff) and it works very well. Tihs is the first app that I have worked with that handles automatically generated code combined with your own code. Everything I used before either crashed, messed up or unexpectedly removed all code.

The latest version 6.8

http://netbeans.org/

Ron AF Greve

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement