• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What Should I be Aiming for?

This topic is 2999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. Wow, my first time on this website, and from the looks of it it can be very helpful. I'm glad I was able to stumble onto this site, it should be able to aid me a lot. Anyway, I have a few questions. Basically, here why I'm here in a nutshell: I came because I would like to learn how I could become a writer for the gaming industry as well as produce my own games. That's basically one of my aspirations right now. I'm currently 18 years old, still in high school, but I have managed to write up a script for a Linear Motion Battle System RPG game that I would like to design. I have decided to name it "Dreams of Terra." You see, though, there will be three different games, more like three different vol. Almost like something you might see out of .hack or Xenosaga. It will go first, DOT (Dreams of Terra), Slumber, then Nightmare, and finally Awakening. Currently I am still working on Slumber. I've found a very helpful website that has helped me out a lot in the type of layout I should have in order to write a productive game script, http://sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm , and so I've been able to write up this script overtime. I'm still in the process of doing a once-over so it's perfect and I'm sure it's just the way I like it. I've also been going on Deviantart and commissioning for pictures of my characters, but it's really sketchy and takes just about foooorrrreeevvveeerrr to get my art since some of these artists have real jobs and just don't give a s**t. So if you had any ideas on how I could get my hands on inexpensive, experienced, unwaveringly on-time artists who can provide me with the manga/anime style art I'm looking for (Yes I am a manga/anime enthusiast, but in my game I mostly just want to copy the art style, not so much the whole "hey lets jump up and down at hyper speed and talk like we're Calvin and the chipmunks!" aspect of it). So, now that you understand my situation, here is my question. I'm fairly new to the whole writing/gaming society, although I do have experiences with attempting to get short stories published (unsuccessfully), and I need to know what I should do if I am planning to make these games and later go into the gaming industry. I am also unaware of most terms about programming and game know-how, for example I saw on the forum once "Must have T3P license" or something. What does T3P mean? You know stuff like that. If you could list some valuable terms for me that would help as well. So, whatever information would surely propel me forward so I can one day achieve my aspiration of being a movie and game writer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Heya!

Quote:
Hello everyone. Wow, my first time on this website, and from the looks of it it can be very helpful. I'm glad I was able to stumble onto this site, it should be able to aid me a lot. Anyway, I have a few questions. Basically, here why I'm here in a nutshell: I came because I would like to learn how I could become a writer for the gaming industry as well as produce my own games.


I haven't heard of a game "writer", but you seem to be looking along the lines of game designer, which goes far beyond writing.

Quote:
That's basically one of my aspirations right now. I'm currently 18 years old, still in high school, but I have managed to write up a script for a Linear Motion Battle System RPG game that I would like to design. I have decided to name it "Dreams of Terra." You see, though, there will be three different games, more like three different vol. Almost like something you might see out of .hack or Xenosaga.


It's good you have something lined up, but one thing you will quickly learn is the attitude professional game developers carry in regards to aspiring students like yourself: "If it's not finished, I'm not impressed".

Quote:
... since some of these artists have real jobs and just don't give a s**t. So if you had any ideas on how I could get my hands on inexpensive, experienced, unwaveringly on-time artists who can provide me with the manga/anime style art I'm looking for (Yes I am a manga/anime enthusiast, but in my game I mostly just want to copy the art style, not so much the whole "hey lets jump up and down at hyper speed and talk like we're Calvin and the chipmunks!" aspect of it).


No offense, but keep dreaming. Finding artists willing to volunteer to provide art for your game can be a tedious effort since they have to conform to a single style. Most development teams, if not all, refer to a "bible" of sorts which dictates the art style to hover around. You also still have to consider what would be made: textures, meshes, mappings, GUI elements, icons, website design stuff... You may not use a lot of those things, but my point is you would only most likely get volunteer work from very bored artists, close friends or artists that are in the same boat as you. Given your situation, working for you wouldn't assist a portfolio, and it would take way too long to get the right art to be worth the time.

Quote:
So, now that you understand my situation, here is my question. I'm fairly new to the whole writing/gaming society, although I do have experiences with attempting to get short stories published (unsuccessfully), and I need to know what I should do if I am planning to make these games and later go into the gaming industry. I am also unaware of most terms about programming and game know-how, for example I saw on the forum once "Must have T3P license" or something. What does T3P mean? You know stuff like that. If you could list some valuable terms for me that would help as well. So, whatever information would surely propel me forward so I can one day achieve my aspiration of being a movie and game writer!


In short: You must be a team player, be impressive and realize your ideas are cheaper than you may first think. The sad truth is there is a small window of time between projects people want to hear about your stuff, although anything you can contribute to current happenings with the active project(s) is always welcome. Your ability to mold your pitch to currently reliable and marketable genres is also helpful.

There is a good number of professional developers on this site, including employers. Just realize that this forum is helpful, but it is also like New York: intense, and only willing to stop to look at something if it feels it won't be wasting time.

However, good feedback can be given. You said you have unsuccessfully tried to publish stories for games. Make a new topic in the appropriate forum and post a summary of your story there for critique. (Paste the entire thing, however, and chances are you'll be ignored.) As hard as it may be to do so, try to keep your cursor off the reply button to argue critiques. That won't fly. I normally feel my ideas or attempts go beyond being critiqued right to being bashed, but just know that the poster most likely has his reply come from a good place.

I am actually your age and heading into college come January, so I have yet to get my dream job of programmer or [technical] artist. All I've told you has been knowledge I learned so far, but don't be afraid to look for companies or other members to question. I should also note there is an entire forum here dedicated to entering the industry.


I hope this helps, and good luck to you!
-Zyro

P.S.

Quote:
Calvin and the chipmunks!


Alvin, my friend. [smile]

[Edited by - zyrolasting on December 6, 2009 10:21:57 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks a bunch man, that helped a lot. Working with this type of developing has taught me a valuable lesson about human nature. Compared to the distant past where I just kinda assumed "This idea is the best, no one can turn me down!" to a whole knew understanding about the work put in, what people want, and how long it takes.

Just one thing though, if there isn't a game writer, which I may have worded wrong, maybe I should've said script writer for games, then what is the writing forum about?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for replying. Every bit helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement