• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dih

Game Programming IDE

This topic is 3238 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I am learning C++ and I am using Code Block(s), I am wondering if i can use it or if there is a better IDE out there. I am thinking of MSVC/DGK to use but i'm not sure. I'd like some help thank you. [Edited by - dih on December 6, 2009 10:59:32 AM]

Advertisement
Code::Blocks isn't a compiler.

You're probably using MinGW (which comes with Code::Blocks, by default). This MinGW is VERY old, I recommend you get TDM's MinGW build which use a much more recent version of GCC (MinGW is essentially GCC for Windows).

That, or you can use MSVC's compiler. However, I find MSVC incredibly complicated when it comes to simple features compared to Code::Blocks, and other features are just plain old missing (but available as payed addons), while Code::Blocks has them for free.

Personally, I use Code::Blocks with MSVC's compiler. All issues solved [grin]

Ok, Is like the compiler something like Microsof C++ Redistributal??? if so i think i am using it. (and yes i use the code blocks ide(sorry but that's what i meant not compiler)

Quote:
Original post by dih
Ok, Is like the compiler something like Microsof C++ Redistributal???

No.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by dih
Ok, Is like the compiler something like Microsof C++ Redistributal???

No.

then wat is Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributal x86 ???

I was thinking of chaning IDE's and Compilers

Quote:
Original post by dih
then wat is Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributal x86 ???

The Visual C++ redistributable package is the set of runtime files (such as DLLs) needed to properly run an application written in VC++ 2008. They are "redistributable" in the sense that you may (and are encouraged to) ship them with your product so that your users do not experience trouble caused by missing runtime files. The Visual C++ compiler is called cl.exe and ships with the IDE.

I recommend you get the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition from here.

I actually already had the visual C++ compiler i delted it cause it was huge and i didn't want o clog up my laptop (though i now have a desktop wich i can use). Thanks i will check into MSVC also i am a student and i was thinkgin about the MSVC student thing signing my school up (for our IT club). Would this be good thing to do?

Since you're a student, you might have access to Microsoft's dreamspark program which allows you to get the professional editions of MSVC for free (it's what I'm using). However, the express editions work just as well.

The redistributable is an installer for the VC++ runtime. Essentially, when you compile C++ code and use the SC++L (standard C++ library), exceptions, RTT (runtime-type-info), etc., these things are handled by this runtime. If you don't have the runtime and your program uses these features, your program won't run. That is, if you disable the SC++L, disable exceptions, disable RTT, etc. you won't need the runtime.

ok what is the difference between the express and the Professional addition? or is there any at all? What is a good ide for C++ then?

[Edited by - dih on December 6, 2009 8:11:30 PM]

The express edition doesn't come with certain features that professional edition has, such as (IIRC) the ability to load plug-ins. I'm not sure as to whether the 2008 express edition includes the optimizing compiler. However, if you are covered by the Dreamspark program, you will not be allowed to use the tools you download for commercial use (as per EULA). This restriction does not apply to express, which is free for commercial use. If I were you I'd just get express - it will work just as well as any other edition for a newbie.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!