Game Programming IDE

Started by
13 comments, last by justPlainRubbish 14 years, 4 months ago
The only difference between Visual Studio 2008 Express and Professional is the ability to use plug ins. You get the same IDE, same compiler, and can release commercial works.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
sounds like express is the way to go for me and our IT club.
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
The only difference between Visual Studio 2008 Express and Professional is the ability to use plug ins. You get the same IDE, same compiler, and can release commercial works.

There are many differences between Pro and Express for C# and Visual Basic. Do these not apply for VC++ (I have not used VC++ much in VS)? Such things that Express does not have that Pro has for C# are: hierarchy visualizer, visual class development, certain unit testing functionality, and a few other things. Definitely not the kind of things that someone learning the languages would need, but they come in handy for large projects.

Are these not available to VC++ users?

The express version also lacks MFC support, but some would say that's not necessarily a bad thing :)

It lacks the resource editor too, AFAIR.
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
Quote:Original post by dih
sounds like express is the way to go for me and our IT club.

yeah to be honest if you're just starting out , then grab the 2008 express, watch some of the vids and find some tutorials (also some links on this site too)

to be honest you wont need any of the bits found in the pro edition until you get to grips with the language

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement