Level Design

Started by
5 comments, last by Kalnos 14 years, 4 months ago
I am looking for a program that can be easily used by beginners to create basic layouts for level design. Drag on and drop and point and click is what I want. I have downloaded UDK but that would take me days to go through all of the learning videos. I have also seen what yoyogames has to offer and I was not impressed. What I am looking for is a basic program where I can make basic maps to show my future team what it is I want done. While writing this I thought maybe MS paint. However I do not think that would come off as professional so that idea is out of the question. Gamedev.net, do you have any ideas?
Advertisement
Many game maker type programs are tailored for one genre of game. So what kind of game are you trying to make preview levels for ?
So, basically what you're saying is that you want a good way to mock-up level layouts? You're not wanting to actually build a complete level, you just want a good tool for producing visual aids to represent the level design intent?

If that is the case, then I would look into a vector editor or cad type system. Some options below -

CAD -
X11 - 2D/3D
Solid Edge - 2D
Design Workshop Lite - 3D
SketchUp - 3D

General Vector -
Inkscape - 2D

Note that all of these are going to have a learning curve. Any piece of software that delivers results inevitably has a learning curve.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
The genre will be RPG or MMO. The idea itself is still in the beginning stages. The main reason I want simple is because I am finding myself flooded with design documents. Not that you asked, I just thought I would clarify.

Thank you Zer0 for your input.
These guys have some awesome fantasy RPG style map making software.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I should have specified on the programs being free. It is not that I am cheap, just broke, haha.
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
So, basically what you're saying is that you want a good way to mock-up level layouts? You're not wanting to actually build a complete level, you just want a good tool for producing visual aids to represent the level design intent?

If that is the case, then I would look into a vector editor or cad type system. Some options below -

CAD -
X11 - 2D/3D
Solid Edge - 2D
Design Workshop Lite - 3D
SketchUp - 3D

General Vector -
Inkscape - 2D

Note that all of these are going to have a learning curve. Any piece of software that delivers results inevitably has a learning curve.

I've used SolidEdge for an engineering graphics class(along with AutoCad), I think it's pretty easy to learn given you're willing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement