[java] help! - newbie - what do i need to program a "management-type" multiuser - server bas

Started by
9 comments, last by jackolantern1 14 years, 4 months ago
Hello everybody, I need to develop a multi-user web based business-type of game for my master thesis. It´s a kind of game which rarely discussed in forums. I´ve never programmed java web based apps, only the Swing-desktop type. I´ve considered JSF but, after surfing the web I was discouraged, considering the considerable amount of bad reviews about JSF´s steep learning curve. The game will have the following charaCteristics: - iT´S A BUSINESS TYPE OF GAME - SIMULATING THE MANAGEMENT OF A "UNIVERSITY´S DEPARTMENT" - Lots of forms form wich the players submit their answers and statistical graphics. - The players must comunicate in a descentralized - real time - manner - but i need to "catch" their answers, so every communication and playing, must pass must be recorded through a server. - 5-7 Players simulateously. - Must be in Java. - The players will play the game through their browsers. - I will need - data mining and statistical processing abilities. - Heavily database driven. I would greatly apreciate someone´s kind help, since this is a rather unusual application and i´m a total "virgin" on Web development. (i´m a Mathematics major) Many Thanks, Manuel Boucherie.
Advertisement
My first question is:

Do you imagine the final product with real-time graphics, or just static web pages in the browser?

If you want to make webapps in Java, then you can use Java Servlets. This is an API specification that runs on a web server.

Here are links to two popular servers that support the Servlet API:

Apache Tomcat
Java's Glass Fish Server

By the way, I did a webserver for my final poject for my AA, and it took me a lot longer than I thought it would, and only had about 10% of the features I planned. I still got an A, but I was way over my head...

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

thank you very much for the reply,

Yes it´s static pages, I just want the players to introduce values or options in forms and then send them to the simulator wich will be on the server. But i want the web pages to support the display of statistical graphics and tables.

Isn´t Java applets an "old school" option?

Manuel Boucherie,

Yes, applets are an option. But if you just need static web pages, then using applets are going to add yet another level of complexity. You will still need a server connected to a database processing the interaction from users, but not only will you have to make a Java GUI, it will be running on the client machine, which requires all the machines to have Java installed.

If all you need is a web browser, it could be easier. Only you know the right answer.

thanks,

But,

Can I make a good GUI with statistical graphics and complex tables (Business Dashboards type) with Web development platforms (ex: JSF), like in Swing?

If I use Applets, is it going to complicate the communication betwwen the players and the server, and Database issues?

Manuel Boucherie
Quote:Original post by mmendes
thanks,

But,

Can I make a good GUI with statistical graphics and complex tables (Business Dashboards type) with Web development platforms (ex: JSF), like in Swing?

If I use Applets, is it going to complicate the communication betwwen the players and the server, and Database issues?

Manuel Boucherie

You can make a complicated GUI with AJAX, but it would be a lot easier to use an Applet with Swing.

However, you have pointed out that if you use an applet, then your GUI will need to communicate to the server with sockets or something over the network.

I think you are at a point where both solutions will work. You should just pick one. If you had made many of these kinds of applications, you would know which approach would work based on the requirements for the software, but because you do not understand the gotchas (and how could you), it is a gamble.

Having said all that, since whatever you pick, you will learn a ton about it when you're finished, pick the one you want to learn.

I think you are mixing up servlets with applets. Servlets run in a web container to process requests and generate web pages.

Another web gui framework to look at is Struts.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Thank you,

I think AJAX is the Solution

I didn´t know about AJAX, because I was initially too focused on using JSF.

After done some investigation on-line, now i see that Ajax is going my way, and that a can even develop hypbrid AJAX - APPLET applications.

After reading many forums, it seems that the "ZK open source Ajax framework." is the best around this days.

Thank you very much, you´ve really enlightened me.

Manuel Boucherie.
It is actually quite surprising what you can do with AJAX without technically knowing it if you have a programming background in any language and at least an understanding of the basics. After reading maybe the first few chapters of an AJAX book, or doing 3 - 5 tutorials online of progressing difficulty, you should be able to copy other functionality and copy and paste in the bits specific to your application. Of course you won't be making Google Maps or GMail, but you can make some decent effects. I set up my own custom AJAX chat room after reading a tutorial. I modified the code and added some specific functionality, and that was my first brush with AJAX.

However, if this is for a college project, you may want to at least be able to explain all the parts.
Thanks again,

I just want browser based form filling appication with some statistical graphics.

In this stage, the things that bother me (although but I´ve not started yet to study ZK.) are:

1) The server must be heavily Database Driven.

2) I need to store all the form fillings submited by the players.

3) The options of the players must be processed by the simulator engine wich will be on the server.

4) It must be possible to initiate a one-to-one text based private communication between any two players.

4) I´ve to catch and store all those communications.

mmendes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement