• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Novel AI

This topic is 2994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
What do you mean by simple game? Do you mean AI design or technology?

Cryptic questions don't help... Give us something to work with here!

Alex

Thanks for the quick response, I'll try to be clearer.

By "simple" I meant "small". I'm looking for an example of novel AI used in a small-scale game, perhaps even a game based on the AI. The AI itself can be complicated.

I'm starting a new game project and I'm very interested in AI, so I'm looking for some inspiration for a cool AI that I could use as the basis for my gameplay.

Konfusius:
Quote:
"Novel" on Google:
fresh: original and of a kind not seen before

butlerenator: You could look into some machine learning techniques. You could make a simple/small game that's easy to "complete", but each time you play it the AI gets harder and harder to beat as it learns your tactics. It would be fun to have to come up with new tactics to beat it each time ;)

I believe that if he is just learning AI, and can't even ask for specifically what he needs, he isn't quite ready to dive into learning AI.

The question is too open-ended to be useful anyway. About the best you can hope for is someone to point you to tic-tac-toe or something.

@Hodgman - It would definitely be fun to play against an opponent that changed on-the-fly and became progressively harder. Your comment got me thinking about genetic algorithms, and how they might be used to create a learning AI.

Using genetic algorithms to evolve a better AI in a real-time game would be difficult, because you would have to create discreet representations for actions performed in real time to use as your traits. However, it would be really cool to use genetic algorithms in a game where all player choices are made up-front (e.g. Gratuitous Space Battles). It wouldn't be too difficult either. The traits could be basically everything the player can change before the fight. After a round of battle, the AI could evolve something that would beat the previous player's army/setup. I'm definitely going to give this some more thought, and I'll post if I get something working. Thanks for the idea.

@InnocuousFox - You're right, the question is very open-ended, but I intended it to be that way. I wouldn't even say there is anything specific that I need, and I'm not asking for advice for learning; I was more looking for something that would spark my creativity, it really could be anything.

Thanks all for your responses so far, any more ideas/examples?

If you want to create an adaptive AI, you might want to consider Q-learning. In order to get decent behavior up-front, you'd need a reasonable approximation for the Value Function ahead of time.

Quote:
Original post by Tachikoma
How about simulating animal behaviour and base your game on that?
Half-Life 1's AI actually had some cool animal behaviour, such as picking up on different scents (attraction/repulsion) as well as sights/sounds/touch and had a food-chain/hierarchy of monsters that were natural predators of each other. If you created a level with the right layout, you could actually make them hunt each other.
It's disappointing this tech wasn't shown off much during the game :/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement