[web] help! - newbie - what do i need to program a "business game-type" multiuser - server

Started by
2 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 4 months ago
Hello everybody, I need to develop a multi-user web based business-type of game for my master thesis. It´s a kind of game which rarely discussed in forums. I´ve never programmed java web based apps, only the Swing-desktop type. I´ve considered JSF but, after surfing the web I was discouraged, considering the considerable amount of bad reviews about JSF´s steep learning curve. The game will have the following charaCteristics: - iT´S A BUSINESS TYPE OF GAME - SIMULATING THE MANAGEMENT OF A "UNIVERSITY´S DEPARTMENT" - Lots of forms form wich the players submit their answers and statistical graphics. - The players must comunicate in a descentralized - real time - manner - but i need to "catch" their answers, so every communication and playing, must pass must be recorded through a server. - 5-7 Players simulateously. - Must be in Java. - The players will play the game through their browsers. - I will need - data mining and statistical processing abilities. - Heavily database driven. I would greatly apreciate someone´s kind help, since this is a rather unusual application and i´m a total "virgin" on Web development. (i´m a Mathematics major) Many Thanks, Manuel Boucherie.
Advertisement
I'm not a java guy, and am confused a bit about what it is you're going for...but I think what you might want to be looking into is a java applet, which as far as i know is kind of like embedding a java application in your web page.

I thought a java applet can kind of do everything you're looking for, but I'm not certain. Here's some information about it Wikipedia - Java Applet
Thanks again,

I just want browser based form filling appication with some statistical graphics.

In this stage, the things that bother me (although but I´ve not started yet to study ZK.) are:

1) The server must be heavily Database Driven.

2) I need to store all the form fillings submited by the players.

3) The options of the players must be processed by the simulator engine wich will be on the server.

4) It must be possible to initiate a one-to-one text based private communication between any two players.

4) I´ve to catch and store all those communications.

mmendes
Closed. Don't cross post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement