• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Black Knight

Is there a way to only disable boost debug checks?

This topic is 3177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have added boost::shared_array in some places to my code instead of plain arrays,I don't know if this is the cause but it seems in debug mode the exe runs alot slower at around 6-7 fps.In release mode everything is lighting fast. Is there an easy way to confirm this?Like a compiler flag to disable all checks in boost or something?

Advertisement
I seriously doubt it's because of boost. What you described seems quite normal for debug mode, almost always due to the debug versions of malloc/free and new/delete.

In any case, I don't think boost has such an option, but you'd be better off asking on the boost mailing list.

One thing you could do is define _NDEBUG at the project scope. This will disable all asserts. But it's most likely malloc/free. Another thing you could do is run a profiler.

Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
I have added boost::shared_array in some places to my code instead of plain arrays,I don't know if this is the cause but it seems in debug mode the exe runs alot slower at around 6-7 fps.In release mode everything is lighting fast.
Seeing you're pinning this on shared_array, I'm assuming your debug performance was acceptable back when you used plain arrays?
You could try running it through a profiler like CodeAnalyst to make sure this is the culprit.

Which compiler are you using? I had similar problems just using good old STL containers/iterators on MSVC due to all the debug checks going on :/
These days they even do bounds checking in your release builds unless you opt out.

I am using visual studio 2008 and yes after some more digging I guess std::vector<boost::shared_ptr<T>>s and shared_ptr are the cause.
Adding _NDEBUG didnt make any difference.Maybe its the optimization settings but if I enable them I will lose debugging.
I tried setting runtime checks to the same setting as release that didn't make any difference either.

Tried putting
#define _HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING 0
to one of my cpp files that use extensive iterators and stuff but the game crashes on startup at a different cpp file on a vector.push_back.

Works as usual if I remove it.

Yea, that's why I said to put it in stdafx.h :)

It's going to be screwy if it's defined in one file but not another because it's going to result in vector having a different structure across translation units.

Quote:
Hmm I don't have a stdafx.h in my project.Should I put it in one of the stdafx.h files inside visual studio?
If you want a macro to apply to your project globally, you can just add it to Properties->Configuration Properties->C/C++->Preprocessor->Preprocessor Definitions.

Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
Maybe its the optimization settings but if I enable them I will lose debugging.
I think the 2008 compiler can now actually enable optimisation and debug generation at the same time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!