• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZacTheImpailer

I want to know, am I doing the right things to get into the industry?

This topic is 3090 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, my name is Zac, I'm 16 ,live in australia and want to be a game designer someday. But what I want to know from you guys is, am I taking the right precautions? I really want to be a designer (lead, level,combat, anything with the word designer in it.) and not a programmer or artist. I'm taking IT and multimedia classes, but as for now I don't have much art or programming knowledge. I've created some content with level editors and some of those interface based game creators that require no programming knowledge. Alot of that though has been with RPG maker vx, in which I've been using for the past 3/4 year and have so far had 3 failed projects. The first was the victim of incompatable scripts and bugs, my computer died and I lost all the files to my second project and I just outright quit on the 3rd one (which I know was wrong, and that you should never do that). I've also been researching schools that offer a degree and have been looking up websites with info on how to get into the industry (although most have not sugar coated it and dampened my spirits a little bit). Anyway, am I doing the right things? Am I doing the wrong things? Do I need to do more? P.S I'm new to this site

Advertisement
Hi,

Im into the programming side of things rather than the design, but i would suggest getting some experience creating levels with something like the unreal development kit. Create a few impressive levels, mod one of your favourite games, or join an existing mod team.

I can't speak from experience, but i'd imagine a portfolio is very important for someone looking to go into the design side of things, as I think it would be a difficult for employers to assess skill any other way.

Tom Sloper is into this sort of thing, he may be here soon to give you some good advice.

Good Luck.

Edit: Here Toms website, you can probably find some useful info here: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

This topic is 3090 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.