• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Spa8nky

Why is the following texture colour not lit with additive blending?

This topic is 3173 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I have a red light and I have the following naff texture: Naff Texture Why is only the yellow lit up and the blue ignored? Only Yellow Lit This doesn't seem correct? I am combining my light and textures with the following:
float4 PixelShaderFunction(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR0
{
	// FinalColour = DiffuseColour * DiffuseLight + SpecularLight

float3 DiffuseColour = tex2D(ColourSampler, input.TexCoord).rgb;

float4 light = tex2D(LightSampler, input.TexCoord);
	float3 DiffuseLight = light.rgb;
	float SpecularLight = light.a; 

return float4((DiffuseColour * DiffuseLight + SpecularLight), 1);
}

I've no idea what's going wrong, can someone please help?

Advertisement
When multiplying blue with red light, you get black. Yellow is (1, 1, 0), and blue is (0, 0, 1).
(1, 1, 0) * (1, 0, 0) = (1, 0, 0) = red
(0, 0, 1) * (1, 0, 0) = (0, 0, 0) = black

When there is only red light hitting a surface that only reflects blue light, there is no light that will be reflected and visible.

Excellent, thank you.

How would I add ambient light to the mix then to make sure that the area is evenly lit?

Quote:
Original post by Spa8nky
Excellent, thank you.

How would I add ambient light to the mix then to make sure that the area is evenly lit?

In reality you would be hard-pressed to find a material that is completely red, blue, green, or black. The same goes for light sources.

I'm not sure what you mean by evenly lit, but I would make sure that I don't use textures where any pixel component (R,G,B) is completely black. I wouldn't use a light that was completely one color either unless, I wanted some sort of special effect.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!