• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TylerMoore

Web Solution - Pausable Download

This topic is 3240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure where else to put this, I stick with GameDev because the answers are good and reliable. I'm looking for a web solution that will provide a web page/application that will let a user download our installer exe (all required files are contained in the exe) such that they can pause the download and resume it at any time. It's a 1.4 GB file, and currently our only distribution model (we are on a 0 budget). Any advice? Our end-users are expected to be very computer illiterate. Expected to be able to visit a webpage and follow a few steps.

Advertisement
Probably the easiest solution is to have the user download a small setup app that does the big download for you.

You can have a small .msi installer program that lists your full .msi program as a dependency. Then the microsoft installer system will handle the download for you.

This means you create TWO installer programs, one is the real 1.4GB package (that you can link to if you want) the other is a small bootstrap installer.

It is fairly easy to set up if you are using Visual Studio's installer project to make your MSI file.

That won't let you pause and resume at any time, but it does allow a bit more user-friendlyness to the download.

Another option is to have a small program that will run the transfer from a known http/ftp location. You will need to write that program yourself. Both protocol support resume options even though many programs don't use them. There are examples out there for doing what you described. Use a small app like the one shown to download it, and then have it run the app when the transfer is finished.

There is a download manager, called Wackget, which is only 180K.
It's easy to use, maybe you can add a link and a description of that.

http://download.cnet.com/WackGet/3000-2071_4-10072327.html

Provide a "downloader" on the download page. Many online games these days use them, and the newest ones seem to be using libtorrent in the background (the smart ones). Basically it's just a small custom libtorrent GUI application that downloads your files and only your files. Then you can have a dedicated upstream of like 100kbps or whatever available. There might be an existing solution (I don't know).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!