• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jmau0438

Let's talk mediator

This topic is 3177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello out there. I was hoping I could try the interest (and possibly patience) of a few engineers on this thread so that we could discuss the mediator pattern. I've done some homework on it, and for anyone who has read "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Orientated Software" or any one of the plathora of books inspired by it, it would seem that this pattern has no real definitive interface. Of course I could be wrong, hence the post. I hypothesize that this may be true due to how customized the patterns' collaboration can end up. What really has my noodle baked is how this pattern relates to that of the observer. (As implied in the book) After reading the book and looking around I was suprised when I found that more often than not that an implementation of an observer really didn't use/integrate a mediator. (Although I did find this where a policy based mediator was created to manage list of subjects) For the observers I found that did incorporate some form of mediation, the general problem I found with most of their designs was that there was too little independence in their subscription & distrubution pipelines/polices to really justify what they were doing. What I'm hoping for is to hear YOUR take on this. In particular... 1) What do you think of my finds? Can you add/correct anything that I've stated? 2) Do you know of any excellent examples of the form in which I'm looking for? 3) Do you have anything you could add and/or elaborate upon which might help to paint a clearer picture? Thank you for your participation

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!