• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamcube017

Coding confusion

This topic is 3089 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new here but I've been looking into game creation for a while. I'll admit, I don't know very much code. I've played around in both C# and C++ and C# seems nicer but I always run into the problem of not knowing what and when to write things. Do you think it's possible to learn to code as I try to create a game? I want to create a rhythm game like Guitar Hero or Amplitude. I'd also like to create an environment. When I say that, I just mean a world that you can walk around in with sounds and things. I found this engine called Quest3D www.quest3d.com which is GREAT because it uses a visual coding language so I still have to figure out the logic behind the game, but I don't have to worry about what to write and try to hunt for that missed semicolin on line 263. I was looking at this until I saw the price (over 600 dollars for the basic version... ouch) So now I'm back to square one I guess. Do you think there's a program that can somehow convert the APIs of text based coding languages into a visual node based language or should I just shut all ideas of creating anything down until I sit through a C#(or C++ 101 book)? Sorry if I just sound like a lazy person who doesn't want to learn any code, but I really have tried to take the time and learn, but I have to say it's not gotten me very far. (It took and friend and I around 4+ hours to get ONE SIMPLE SOUND to play using the FMOD API and it turns out that it was because of something like a missing quote or something.) <-- is more of a level and sound designer than programmer-- Thanks in advance for replying.

Advertisement
I'd be tempted to say that learning to code as you go along would be an effective method of learning. It'd give you motivation to press on and an investment in the project so you're less likely to just throw your PC out of the window and give up for good when you can't get something to work. Just expect a couple of rewrites and to still have an incomplete/buggy product at the end, but with any luck, you'll come back to it and get it done.

Quote:
Original post by Dreamcube017
Do you think it's possible to learn to code as I try to create a game?

Simply put, no.

It's good that you have a goal and are working with APIs from the start, but if you're struggling with missing quotes, I have to wonder what IDE you're using. I also think that you should focus on learning and getting experience programming. Things do get a lot easier as you get experience and the dumb little bugs like missing quotes or semi-colons go away (at least with C# and a good IDE).

Hm ok.

I first tried to do this with Dark GDK which LOOKED simple enough, but I was still confused on some things.

I'm using Visual Studio 2008. Is there a better one? (doubts it as that seems to be one of the best... or that's what all the lesson things reccomend)

I'm having a hard time picking between C# and C++ because I konw C# is easier but I konw a lot of the really nice game engines and APIs were originally written in C++ and I have no idea how to use them with C#. (Example FMOD is wonderful but only really for C++. They say there's a C# one but there's NO documentation AT ALL and I have no idea how to make it work in C#.)

Does anyone have any suggestions in which one I should use and suggestions on any books or websites have really good learning paths for learning either of these languages? Thanks.

Your taking too big of steps. Take a step back and think about what your doing. Would you try becoming a Formula 1 racer by entering into competitions/events or would you first practice? You need to learn your language more than a simple Hello World example. No, you can't work on a 3D game while learning a language but you can work on other things that will in the end help you in your final game. Or maybe you should create simpler games as you learn. Tic Tac Toe, Tetris, Hangman, etc. Whatever you set yourself to do that's realistic will help you build your final game because you gain experience in everything you do. Games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero have a whole staff of programmers, designers, artists, and especially sound engineers. They, more than likely, created their own sound engine to be able handle all of the audio in their game. They probably did not use an API like FMOD. So take a step back, learn for a little while, and then make the next Guitar Hero game for all of us to play. Good luck =)

Hmm... I could gargue and say that FMOD was used SOMEWHERE in Guitar Hero (it says so on the FMOD page.) and I could also argue that I am actually in training (very near the end of training) to become a sound engineer and am already a sound designer... but those really aren't the point and you make a lot more sense than my arguments hold up.

So I suppose I'll start with C#...

...however... I was on the A7 game engine site and they have a free version that uses Lite C for beginners. Would that help or would I just be crippling myself in the end?

Meh, oh well, back to Square 4 (squares 1, 2, and 3 being finding an IDE and a nice set of tutorials for C#)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!