When to use opengl or 3d model?

Started by
3 comments, last by Scourage 14 years, 4 months ago
So I'm wanting to get into 3d game programming( iphone to be specific ) and I'm a little confused about when to use 3d models. So if I want some really cool looking creature do most game shops just create those creatures in a 3d modeling tool like maya or 3ds max or can you make them in opengl? I'm trying to decide on the technologies that I'm needing to learn to get up to speed, because the game of wanting to make will involve a cat and I'm wondering if I need to use a tool like blender to make the cat or could I possibly just make him using opengl?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kjgreen
So I'm wanting to get into 3d game programming( iphone to be specific ) and I'm a little confused about when to use 3d models. So if I want some really cool looking creature do most game shops just create those creatures in a 3d modeling tool like maya or 3ds max or can you make them in opengl?

I'm trying to decide on the technologies that I'm needing to learn to get up to speed, because the game of wanting to make will involve a cat and I'm wondering if I need to use a tool like blender to make the cat or could I possibly just make him using opengl?

It's probably possible to do it directly into openGL, but it would take ages and be very difficult. 3d Modelling programs are the way forward I guess.
OpenGL is used to send vertex data to the graphics processor to render.

If you want to send creatures or environments to be drawn, you will need an artist to create them in a 3D modeling package.
The point of 3D modeling applications is to have a user intuitive way to create art. Of course, if you wanted to you could go in and manually plot each every vertex's position, tex coordinates, etc. but for anything non-trivial (ie, anything beyond a cube) will be ridiculous.

The idea of the 3D model formats is to read in the values from something you created in an intuitive way.

OpenGL offers nothing in generating geometry for you, aside from some primitives in GLUT like spheres and cylinders. You'll be better off with using 3D model files for all your art, you'd just need to find or create a way to import it.
My rule of thumb is that if it has more than 8 points (in the shape of a cube), do it in a modeler. If you're just getting started with iphone development, you could look at the SIO2 engine (free) and using Blender to model your game assets.

Cheers,

Bob

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement