recommend some books

Started by
6 comments, last by kablammyman 14 years, 4 months ago
can you recommend some beginners books on AI - pathfinding, and game design.
Advertisement
http://www.jbpub.com/Catalog/9781556220784/student/

I found the book very helpful and you can download source code right from that site for free. But the book itself is 50 dollars.

Jake
The book recommended above (Programming Game AI by Example) seems to be widely regarded as the best for beginners and is a good book overall. Although I wouldn't buy it from the site he linked I would get it from Amazon.com since it's only $33 there.
Yup another vote for Mat Buckland'ss Programming Game AI by Example, belongs on every book shelf.

Game development blog and portfolio: http://gamexcore.co.uk
Isnt it that site rapidshare also offers the free download for that book?
Quote:Original post by rushikesh3030
Isnt it that site rapidshare also offers the free download for that book?

Yes but that's illegal.
Hunt down copies of The Mythical Man Month and Pragmatic Programmer. The first will teach you important lessons about how to manage a programming project. The second will teach you a handful of very good skills and habits which will make you a better developer overall. Even though neither directly addresses anything as specific as AI, they're well worth a read, as they'll get you thinking in more productive ways, which often helps immensely when it comes time to design your own solutions.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by gameXcore
Yup another vote for Mat Buckland'ss Programming Game AI by Example, belongs on every book shelf.

you know, I have that book, but I have mixed feelings about it. I think that there's too much code in the book, so it slows down the reading and understanding teh concept. Also, the writing style isn't my cup of tea...I cant put my finger on it, but I just don't like it. However, the information is very good, and so far, seems to be pretty complete. The book has a lot of good techniques to learn about and to try right away, since it is learn by example.

On a side note, the fact that there's no CD (but a website) is kinda lame, but good at the same time (lame, because you don't have the code with you at all times...but good since it can be updated since its all on a website)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement