The People Speak

Started by
8 comments, last by jrjellybean 14 years, 4 months ago
Sunday night at 8 pm the History Channel (USA) is showing "The People Speak", Matt Damon and Josh Brolin's long standing project to adapt Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" for television. They gathered together dozens of actors and musicians to read from the words spoken by ordinary Americans caught in the tumult of history. The show features readings by Damon and Brolin, as well as Morgan Freeman, Viggo Mortensen, David Strathairn, Marisa Tomei, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Eddie Vedder and John Legend among others. They'll be getting at the heart of what makes America great, the people, so I encourage everyone to watch the show. Here's Viggo Mortensen writing about "The People Speak": "Great Man" Theory? History Is Driven by the Little Guy
Quote: ... What we have found in making this film over the past two years is that people respond to these voices is profoundly personal and emotional ways. They take inspiration from seeing how people struggled in the past, often against far greater odds than we face today, to make their voices heard and to right historic wrongs. They find insight from these expressions of the past into how they feel and live in the present. And they also find hope for a different future. As Howard Zinn has often pointed out, history told from above -- from the standpoint of generals and kings and presidents -- encourages passivity, a sense of helplessness. In this version of history, "great men" make history, not ordinary people. But looked at from below, history has another lesson. Whenever change as happened, it has been through protest, dissent, struggle, social movements, ordinary people picketing, striking, boycotting, sitting down, sitting in. All this mans that we make history, history is effected by our everyday decisions. And we have a responsibility to speak out when we see injustice. We can't wait on others to "lead" us or solve our problems for us. We have to participate, to engage, every day and not just once every four years. ...
Any comments?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
That's one of the best ideas I've ever heard.
It sounds interesting, but I'm a little confused about the basic concept. Why have actors playing the people who are saying these things? Why can't they be said by, well, the people who said them? I mean, I'm sure it's socially uplifting as fuck for the celebrities themselves, but how does it improve the experience for we the viewer?
">Preamble?
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
It sounds interesting, but I'm a little confused about the basic concept. Why have actors playing the people who are saying these things? Why can't they be said by, well, the people who said them?

Uhh, presumably because most of them are dead. The book goes back to Columbus and about half of the chapters are from pre-20th Century history.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Exactly. From what I've gathered, Damon reads from the Declaration of Independence. Morgan Freeman reads from Frederick Douglas. Viggo Mortensen reads the writings of a farmer involved in Shay's Rebellion. And that's only a part of it. As for the viewer, this is a special event, where the people who made history are celebrated through their own words and thus briefly restored to life. The spoken word brings the written word to life.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I love these sorts of productions. I recently heard a lot of Greek literature from an audio book (these are great things to listen to while doing automated tasks at work). We probably won't get to see this for a few months in our local media.
Along the lines of listening to books while you work, check out this story from the BBC: Reading while rolling Cuba's famous cigars

Quote:
Producing Cuba's famous handmade cigars is a highly skilled but monotonous job which demands concentration.

There's no time for chatting to workmates - quotas must be met.

At the front of the room there's a raised platform where a lone figure sits in front of a microphone, reading out loud the official state newspaper Granma.

Instead of canned music, many cigar factories in Cuba still rely on the ancient tradition of employing a reader to help workers pass away the day.
Later in the day she returns to the platform to read a book.
Once the newspaper reading is over workers have a say in what they would like to listen to.

There's a mix of material ranging from classics to modern novels, like the Da Vinci Code, as well as the occasional self-help books and magazines.

On the day I visited the factory Gricel was reading Alexandre Dumas' classic, the Count of Monte Cristo, a long-time favourite here.
Having someone read out loud on the shop floor is a tradition which dates back to the 1860s.
For a while the practice spread to cigar factories in Florida, as well as Mexico and Spain.

That's awesome.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Along the lines of listening to books while you work, check out this story from the BBC: Reading while rolling Cuba's famous cigars

That is absolutely crazy.

Thanks for the link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement