Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

warm0ng3r

Directdraw screen corruption

eek, this is driving me insane.... I have dual boot 2k and 98, and in both, after writing this directdraw demo, parts of windows controls and sometimes the desktop, have been written to. Any idea what may be causing this corruption? the only way to restore windows back to normal is to restart.... btw, its running at the same res/depth as the desktop (1024-32bit) I am releasing all pointers to surfaces/dd objects, and setting them to NULL afterwards... Coming to think of it, the first sign of this corruption is when a messagebox is brought up onto the screen. The co-op level is set for fullscreen. Surely someone else must have had this problem? here in castle camelot we eat ham and jam and spam alot!

I''ll try bumping this one more time, before i give up, and assume that no-one here knows what may be causing it

My assumption is that somehow a pointer has been made to point to windows memory, but i cant think of anyway this could happen

here in castle camelot we eat ham and jam and spam alot!

In my current project, I made a similar mistake like that which caused just about everything in windows to do that. Windows still worked, just the screen was extremely messed up and I had to restart. Took me forever to find out what was causing it. In the end, my problem was caused by something similar like you said, about a pointer pointing to the wrong place or something. If this is the case, your bug is going to be difficult to find. Just don''t give up. You''ll find it eventually. If the problem happened just after you added a new part of the program, look there for problems (obviously). Don''t know what to tell you other than that, unless you could send me the source code or something.

cheers..... yeah, i guess im gonna have to spend a couple of hours, going thru line by line, and concentrating on what each pointer is pointing to at every part of code.... hmmm, or i could just start from scratch :D