Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shawn

Help with sky box

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,
I am using 3DS Max to great the sky textures.
I have greated a master Max file which contains a sphere & 6 cameras set up facing l,r,u,d,f,b
1st I great a wrap around panoramic texture
& cylindrical map it onto the sky sphere(The sky sphere has a Self Illumination of 100%).

Then I just pick each camera and render off the views, giving me a nice set.
(The only problem is the texture joining at the top and bottom of the sphere, but I just blend a texture over these, to give nicer results.

Cheers
Darrin

I think it would be excellent if we could use Optimiza's MAX exporter for this, like make a Geodesic sphere, map the texture to this then export to pro for consumption in PR.

I spent a whole day with the most beautiful skies only to see them ruined when I tried to cut and paste the 6 walls of my box

there has to be a better way !!
The skyplane object in the land demo seems to help, but I do not know how to load it in the terrain demo for 2.6

Shawn

You can use a dome or sphere for the sky instead of a plane. It makes no difference.
I used a squashed box in the landscape demo because I wanted scrolling clouds that went off to infinity in the distance. However using a sphere or dome would have the same technique. Just center the sky object around the camera so you never get closer to it, then render.

I am using Bryce 3 to make the skies for the terrain demo but I can not seem to get the panarama to line up, there are seems at the joints. What tips/tricks or programs are people using to get good looking skies ?

Thanks !

Ok, if I make a half sphere in MAX, what should the dimensions be in order to scale properly in the engine, 1x1 meter? I do not see a cube.3ds file for comparisons. Should the sphere be mapped with a texture in MAX, then the textures loaded into the .prl file seperately like a regular pro file, or is there a hidden bite me here?
Then loaded with:
sky_shape = PR_LoadPRO ("sphere.pro", LOAD_NORMAL);

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited November 05, 1999).]