Direct3D Texture Management

Started by
0 comments, last by SavageGimp 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys, I was working on my engine again today and I noticed it was going very slowly when I added a single tree to my scene (this is just a 2D sprite) The tree is contained within a 512x512 bitmap. When I size the bitmap down from 512x512 (say to 128x128) it is a ton faster. The problem seems to be that I have too many large textures, but they should all be able to fit into memory at once! I am using D3DPOOL_MANAGED because I NEED to lock my surface and read some information from it (I look for frames in the image so I can grab individual sprites out of it) Is there something I can do to tell D3D to keep that texture in memory even when it''s not in use? The problem is that when I scroll over the tree (this makes a SetTexture call occur) my frame rate goes down from 160 to about 60. Is there something that can be done??? Thanks in advance! Ben
TrueKnight42 on AIM
Advertisement
Use MIPMAPPING!!!

The texture manager does a great job (unless you have broken graphics card drivers trying to override it - there are some).

Almost all 3d graphics hardware suffers badly if it has to minify a texture (i.e. the size of the texture used on screen is much smaller than the source texture).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement