Do I have to provide source code for my binary which is linked from BSD licensed sour

Started by
3 comments, last by Washu 14 years, 3 months ago
Do I have to provide source code for my binary which is linked from BSD licensed source? I've done the read on wiki and if I say i understand what it says or make my own conclusion then I'm definitely an idiot because I don't have a law degree and am not a lawyer. Anyone please help.
Advertisement
No.

IANAL.
Quote:
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Simply showing the license text in the "about" screen or the loading screen is all that the BSD license asks from licensees.
LOL this forum rocks. Thanks for the answers.
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
Quote:
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Simply showing the license text in the "about" screen or the loading screen is all that the BSD license asks from licensees.

Or attached to the EULA, or other license agreement, or just as a document in the folder. It doesn't have to be displayed to the user, although it is preferable (from the license holders POV). Just as long as it is present.

The best place to display it, along with having a copy of it in the installation directory, is during the install process. Where typically you would display your software license and EULA as well.

[Moved to BAL]

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement