• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ahmedkl

Game like Worms

This topic is 3192 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people I am new here :D , I wanted to know that which game engine can I use or which language can be used to make a game like worms? or if someone has played dinky bomb , both are quite the same , I am very good at C++ and can make almost all the data structures so coding wont be difficult for me , i have been looking in which language or engine to make the game , so can anyone help me out :) ?

Advertisement
Why not using C++ then? If you are very good at it.
You need to use openGL or directx for the graphics.

These are just enough to code a worms like program.

I coded a tank_wars/scorch clone a few years ago with Borland C 2.0 to Dos.
All I needed was a BGI, and some time.

yup but it should be some sort of professional looking game , and is it difficult or easy to make in OpenGL cause what i have heard is that you have to write code for every single thing?and what if i want to make an RPG game or somewhat like armymen , should i use some game engine or OpenGL ?

Coding every single thing means drawing lines (defined by 2 points) drawing triangles (defined by 3 points), changing colors etc, which you have to do with an engine too.

And you were talking about worms, not an RPG. Or maybe I only know the old worms versions :P

You can use game engines for RPGs of course, but since I didn't use any of them, someone else should recommend you one.

It depends on your skill/motivation... If you want to develop in High or Low level...
In any case it's possible and not insurmountable to make a game like worms, in Low level, with Directx/OpenGL but,if you have knowledge in C++ but not in the game development, you will have to work during 1 year to make a full game like worms (very very approximately).
So if you are pressed, choose the Hight level, but I'm not an expert of that... I prefer low level :D

good luck !

I should start from low level cause starting straight with high level will be kinda messy , so then I should choose OpenGL?and any guides to install that thingy , i normally use Visual C++ 6.0

Be careful, When I said high and low level, it's compared to machine language. So the lower level is more "hard" that the high level.

haha sorry i thought that you were talking abt the standard of the games , so is there any tutorial to setup OPENGL ?

A game like worms isn't too terribly hard to make. Normally I'd suggest using something other than C++, but if you already know some of the language, that's a different story.

As far as libraries go, there's a ton. SDL, Allegro, SFML, ClanLib, et. al.

If you want to avoid C++ (which some people might still recommend you do), I'd suggest either C# w/ XNA or Python w/ Pygame

OpenGL is very difficult to work with, and I really wouldn't recommend starting out with it. If you're dead set on it though, I'm afraid I can't help you with tutorials. I know a few, but most OpenGL tutorials are notorious for encouraging bad code, and I can't in good conscience recommend one of them.

I still haven't decided which one to choose , i am also searching for different game engines , i just want to start least i want to make a single game and then i want to try more , so people give your opinions as much as you can :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!