Started by
24 comments, last by ahmedkl 14 years, 3 months ago
yeah thats it.

The creators club has some tutorials to get you started as well
http://creators.xna.com/en-GB/

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ahmedkl
yup but it should be some sort of professional looking game

I would just like to point something out that nobody else seems to have mentioned. A "professional look game" is allll about the art. You can code it in assembly using notepad, or in Visual Studio with C# and XNA ... either way without nice art it will still look amateur. So all the suggestions here are decent, but don't worry too much about it - a different language will not make your game LOOK professional, it will simply make the process simpler or more complex.

Every single project at work I do looks like something I did in the basement of my parents house till the artists come along. A week of moving things up/down a pixel and replacing my programmer art with their colour coordinated pictures and BHAM its a real game no matter how horrible the code is.

(As for opengl C++ tutorials SDL is an easy winner: SDL tutorial pages.)
so XNA is the best choice to be making a game :) ? I do like the C# visual thingy cause it's really easy to make apps in it
It will always depend on the game, but it is a great way to start. The final look may not depend on the language, but if it takes a month with Xna, it will take 5-6 months in OpenGL + C++.

If I were you, I'd just do it. Don't lose too much time looking for *the best* language of the world, everyone here will have a different piece of advice. This is something you'll find by yourself.

Xna may not be the best thing around, but it is easy, there are LOTS of examples you can copy from and you can code to you XboX 360.

Good Luck!
Rosália G. Schneiderhttp://rosaliaschneider.wordpress.com/
Quote:Original post by Rosalia
- Windows does not offer support to OpenGL after version 1.1 (I think, something around that). If you want to use these features, you'll have to use OpenGL extensions, which are not that friendly.
You can use glew
Quote:
- You cannot load your textures in OpenGL. You'll have to go for some library for it.
There are a lot of libraries, or you could even write your own tga/bmp loading functions (there are tons of tutorials on the net, ctr+c/ctr+v)
Quote:
- You cannot write text to the screen in OpenGL. You'll have to go for some library for it.
You can (wgl.h comes with any compilers/IDEs), it's a bit tricky to setup, but look at NEHE tutorials (related to gamedev.net) (ctr+c/ctr+v)

The other statements are/may be true, but I don't think it's too hard to setup these things, if you use glut for the beginning, you can easily switch to win32 later (there are tons of tutorials on the net, ctr+c/ctr+v).

But that's just an opinion, it's easier to go with existing engines, it depends on what means fun to you. For example I enjoy doing everything myself, because I can learn essence of the whole thing, so in the end, I will be able to do anything (writing a program that shoots us to Alpha Centauri [grin])
thanks people I have started XNA and working with it so thankyou :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement