Game like Worms

Started by
24 comments, last by ahmedkl 14 years, 3 months ago
Hello people I am new here :D , I wanted to know that which game engine can I use or which language can be used to make a game like worms? or if someone has played dinky bomb , both are quite the same , I am very good at C++ and can make almost all the data structures so coding wont be difficult for me , i have been looking in which language or engine to make the game , so can anyone help me out :) ?
Advertisement
Why not using C++ then? If you are very good at it.
You need to use openGL or directx for the graphics.

These are just enough to code a worms like program.

I coded a tank_wars/scorch clone a few years ago with Borland C 2.0 to Dos.
All I needed was a BGI, and some time.
yup but it should be some sort of professional looking game , and is it difficult or easy to make in OpenGL cause what i have heard is that you have to write code for every single thing?and what if i want to make an RPG game or somewhat like armymen , should i use some game engine or OpenGL ?
Coding every single thing means drawing lines (defined by 2 points) drawing triangles (defined by 3 points), changing colors etc, which you have to do with an engine too.

And you were talking about worms, not an RPG. Or maybe I only know the old worms versions :P

You can use game engines for RPGs of course, but since I didn't use any of them, someone else should recommend you one.
It depends on your skill/motivation... If you want to develop in High or Low level...
In any case it's possible and not insurmountable to make a game like worms, in Low level, with Directx/OpenGL but,if you have knowledge in C++ but not in the game development, you will have to work during 1 year to make a full game like worms (very very approximately).
So if you are pressed, choose the Hight level, but I'm not an expert of that... I prefer low level :D

good luck !
Have a great day!Richard Geslot, 3D game developermy 3D creation
I should start from low level cause starting straight with high level will be kinda messy , so then I should choose OpenGL?and any guides to install that thingy , i normally use Visual C++ 6.0
Be careful, When I said high and low level, it's compared to machine language. So the lower level is more "hard" that the high level.
Have a great day!Richard Geslot, 3D game developermy 3D creation
haha sorry i thought that you were talking abt the standard of the games , so is there any tutorial to setup OPENGL ?
A game like worms isn't too terribly hard to make. Normally I'd suggest using something other than C++, but if you already know some of the language, that's a different story.

As far as libraries go, there's a ton. SDL, Allegro, SFML, ClanLib, et. al.

If you want to avoid C++ (which some people might still recommend you do), I'd suggest either C# w/ XNA or Python w/ Pygame

OpenGL is very difficult to work with, and I really wouldn't recommend starting out with it. If you're dead set on it though, I'm afraid I can't help you with tutorials. I know a few, but most OpenGL tutorials are notorious for encouraging bad code, and I can't in good conscience recommend one of them.
I still haven't decided which one to choose , i am also searching for different game engines , i just want to start least i want to make a single game and then i want to try more , so people give your opinions as much as you can :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement