Sign in to follow this  
Samzen

Global actions?

Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to make a 3D modelling action be made global, so that we could create the same movement for all models in one go. Example: We want the models to move their legs when they walk. We have several different races of creatures and therefore use several skeletons. Is it possible to make these skeletons move in a similar way by for example naming the equivilant parts using the same name and thus have them all being called by the same movement command? I'm sorry if this belongs in beginner questions, but it seems a bit specific. Oh and I'm not programming nor 3D modelling, I'm just handling the project we're working on... Collecting as much information as possible to find the best ways to reduce workload while maintaining quality, really. If this method isn't possible, could anyone refer me to any standard methods that work? Also any logical reasoning towards me understanding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ^.^

it's easily feasible if they have the same articulations : same skeleton but not necessarily the same size of bone.
You have the reference movement and, for example, you accelerate and you reduce amplitude it if bones are small.. it's a little math and logic.

But, one more time, they must have the same articulations : it's not possible between a dog and an human for example

I hope that it was helpful, good luck

Ah. Kinda makes sense and kinda sucks :/.... So it has to be the same positioning between the joints eh? Is this to avoid it looking horrible, completely impossible or?

I guess it doesn't matter either way... Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. Are there any other methods that you know that help increase workflow which could work for a gridded (hex) isometric turn-based strategy game?

I'm simply looking at finding a proper solution that allows us to have as little hassle as possible... As this is our first project (And yes. We all know we're in over our heads, it just makes us more determined ^.^)

Trying to come up with a solution so that we can plan ahead a bit as the theory is all but done, and now comes the process of putting it all into practice :P