Sign in to follow this  
Melanikus

Initialization

Hey guys I'm starting this BIG app and I want the developer to have control of various configuration modes, so I check for display formats, device capabilities, set an option to fullscreen and now I'm checking for multisample, is multisample == AA? cause all games here can run on 16x AA and now I'm checking the backbuffer format (usually D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8) and I can't go over 8 samples O_o I have a geforce 9800 GTX+ and, as I said, all my games work with 16xCSAA Any ideas?

Yes, multisampling is used for anti-aliasing. It's commonly abbreviated as MSAA.

The "16x" MSAA mode on Nvidia GPU's isn't actually real 16xMSAA, it only uses 8 subsamples. Hence in DX the maximum number of subsamples will be 8. To enable 16x AA and 16x CSAA, you need to specify a non-zero quality level.

This page explains the different MSAA modes in more detail, and tells you what parameters to pass.

I implemented AA in my project yesterday so it's fresh in my memory.

The first mistake I did was to simply pass D3DMULTISAMPLE_X_SAMPLES when I create my device.

Here's how you check if a certain mode is supported and the number of quality levels for that mode:

// Default = No multisampling.
D3DMULTISAMPLE_TYPE MultiSampleType = D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE;
DWORD MultiSampleQuality = 0;
DWORD outQuality = 0;

if (D3D_OK == m_pD3D->CheckDeviceMultiSampleType(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,
D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,
D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, // Backbuffer format
!bFullscreen, // Windowed
D3DMULTISAMPLE_X_SAMPLES,
&outQuality) // Quality levels
)
&&
D3D_OK == m_pD3D->CheckDeviceMultiSampleType(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,
D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,
D3DFMT_D24S8, // Depth buffer format
!bFullscreen,
D3DMULTISAMPLE_X_SAMPLES,
NULL)
)
{
// Success
MultiSampleType = D3DMULTISAMPLE_X_SAMPLES;
MultiSampleQuality = outQuality - 1;
}
else
{
// Failure
}

Also, you can only use D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD when using multisampling or CreateDevice will return Invalid call.

Ha! thanks! I got my way around it, but I was about to post right now about depth/stencil buffer formats, If I could check them like I check for framebuffer types! let me show you how it looks so far

init

I made a big scene graph and some basic modules previously, but I had to recompile everytime I wanted a new PC to run (with a different/older gfx card) now I'm making some initialization dialogs and stuff to allow me to test Dx features and make it more stable.

Another thing, how can I compile a "release" version of my app that does not require Dx SDK? is there a simple way? once long ago I tried sending the DLLs but it gave me lots of problems and didn't work in the end... I wanted other ppl to test device capabilities (see if it really works...)