Programmer to remake 3D-ish sim/strategy game?

Started by
15 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 4 months ago
hey there, im a 3d artist/animator. i know little bit of programming but nothing to the level that will be enough to get a game made. i really like this old Sim / Strategy game i played in the 90's and would like the remake it with someone more geeky than myself (which has gotta be a challenge in itself cos im pretty geeky). im really looking for a programmer whos maybe bored or doing like a course where they perhaps have to make a game as like course work or something. its not paid or anything just a fun thing to collaborate on. if your doing it as part of your course and you cant model or animate or anything well i can so perhaps thats something that will look cool that youll get out of it. i guess someone in uk or at least speaks english would be a good start. if this sounds like something your up for then leave your MSN or PSN or something and maybe let me know if you just wanna do as fun or your doing course or whatever and ill try get in touch somehow. see ya
Advertisement
You really should post this in the Help wanted section.

And please include some more info about the game you wish to (re)make. The games name plus a summery of its game play. That kind of info. So any possible programmer knows exactly what their getting into and can be more prepared.

If I were you I would start working on whatever art assets you think you'll need. That way you can show those as proof that your project is going somewhere and that they won't be doing all the work.
"You really should post this in the Help wanted section."

well its here now. perhaps the host of the site can move or remove this for me as i cant see where i might be able to do that for myself. if i just repost it else where or youll prob post that im spam posting. i havent been on this site long but seems to me your community likes telling people what to post and where to post more than anything else. i just wanna make a game man i dont wanna spend my time moving posts around.

"And please include some more info about the game you wish to (re)make. The games name plus a summery of its game play. That kind of info. So any possible programmer knows exactly what their getting into and can be more prepared."

more prepared? geesh, well i tried my bestest to make it sound like an informal thing sorry you got wrong impression. i assumed people here just liked making games for fun i guess i got the wrong place. im not even that bothered what type of a game and didnt expect anyone to be prepared i just wanna make a game not go to war.

"If I were you I would start working on whatever art assets you think you'll need. That way you can show those as proof that your project is going somewhere and that they won't be doing all the work."

i can see what your saying here and do appreciate all your comments, thanks. but i still think your nuts if thats what youd do. possibly ending up with a load of assets sounds kinda crazy. i dont feel i have to sell myself either it just for fun not a job dude. i figured they either wanna program a game or not ya know like i just like to animate and it was just meant to be a fun thing i didnt think drawing up a full on business plan was all that fun and really just wanted to see if there was some interest before signing contracts. again im just doing this for fun and as my name suggests for the moment i was justlookin but i guess id better not bother since youve sucked half the fun out of it and after 80 views and no other replies im guessing your all after money and making games for fun is something that doesn't happen.

Common, don't be like that. I didn't intend to sound as though your in the wrong or that I think you should be out for cash or a job. I'm not judging you.

A moderator will happily move your post to the Help wanted section if you ask. The only reason I'm telling you is because the people in the beginners section aren't likey to join your project. They've just begun and may not know enough about their chosen field yet to be able to contribute or probably don't feel ready to start working on a project. I sure wouldn't want to join a project like yours only to realise I really can't help you.

The people in the help wanted section are specifically looking for a fun project to join so it makes the most sense to post their.

I asked for more info about your project mostly because it sounded interesting. Strategy games are my favorite genre and if you were talking about making a nice little remake of say, Dungeon keeper, then that would be just awesome.

My point is that I wouldn't want to get involved in your project and then find out that what you and your other team members(If you had some people contact you before me) isn't really something I was interested in.

Odds are most of your 80 views are beginners who did't reply or contact you because they're beginners and don't feel ready to start working on something with other people yet.

Don't shy away from this. Their are heaps of people looking for something fun to get involved in, over in the help wanted section. I guarantee you'll find some people who want to do this with you if you post there.

And again I don't want to sound as though I'm being mean. So please don't feel like I'm being harsh. I'm just trying to help, as the things I stated in my earlier post will help you find people who want to work with you. The more info you give them the more likely you'll find someone with the same passion for this old sim game that you have.
Hi & welcome.

No need to be so defensive. If you already have a particular game in mind, like you mentioned in your post, it's not unreasonable for people to ask about your ideas (in text or graphics). If you're open to other suggestion, just let us know that. Nobody's telling you to sign contracts or write business plans, but good communication is a key aspect of successful team work.
Quote:i dont feel i have to sell myself either it just for fun not a job dude. i figured they either wanna program a game or not ya know like i just like to animate and it was just meant to be a fun thing i didnt think drawing up a full on business plan was all that fun and really just wanted to see if there was some interest before signing contracts. again im just doing this for fun and as my name suggests for the moment i was justlookin but i guess id better not bother since youve sucked half the fun out of it and after 80 views and no other replies im guessing your all after money and making games for fun is something that doesn't happen.

Being new you may not realize it, but game development sites like this see posts all the time that are along the lines of "I have this awesome idea and I just need x people with y skills to make it happen".

Like it or not, you are selling yourself. Creating a game isn't something that you're just going to working on for a few days and you're done. You're asking someone to invest hundreds or thousands of hours of their time into this project, and before most people are willing to do that they generally will want to know that you are truly serious about this project and that it exists as something more than ideas in your head.
soz for any girly forum drama didnt mean to start anything like that. in fact the opposite i dont wanna talk about the project i just wanna start one. id rather just start one and never finish than spend time on a forum talking about it. but geesh ive already written 3 posts on this now appearing like im arguing and apologising. its just frustrating me that the time i spend writing here i could probably teach myself to program and get on with it on my own.

im just a aritst after a programmer whos preferably into strategy games to make a game in spare time. someone who just loves programming games and doesnt care what they are making just likes programming anything. i have no idea of anything else. thats it, thats the whole concept so far.

i did have in mind remaking the original 'gangsters - organised crime' not 'gangsters 2' (because to me that seemed lamer it had less planning and felt far more controlled and tutorial like. I think bith games were by hothouse i think i remember maybe. i thought perhaps a more polished 'constructor' or 'street wars/mob rule' by 'acclaim' look might be cool but then if im gonna do that i might as well go full out and do full on 3D GTA or Mafia type look i dunno what level of experience or limitation this programmer i might find will have. plus the game is about the tatics and planning more than controlling the characters like a FPS. The game was very cool i found because of all the organising that went on before each week started much like how in the first 'rainbow six' worked - there was far more planning that went on before the action and then there was potential and ability to have some control over what happens if something didnt go quite to plan. any way i think the graphics could be way better on it and although it seemed quite intellegent-ish im sure that could be made loads better as in like how the stats for gangsters skill sets and other factors in the game like like how many they are with or whether they had weapons or cars affect how efficient they are in the game. another thing i feel that could be developed in more depth are the buildings you could prucahase and the busssiness that could be run and owned and the underground businesses behind those fronts. i mean with both more control over what went on in those and presenting those with 3d graphics. much more like perhaps 'theme park's' burger shops worked like how much salt went into the burgers and things or like in 'constructor' or 'street wars' what decorating went on inside. I can just image having control over what gangsters controlled perhaps a cassino and how exactly they controlled it in how well they kept up the decorating or how aggressive they were with cheaters or enemy gangsters would effect the game and have a fun impact on the game. any way i have loads of ideas. and like i said dont really wanna talk about them on here cos i probably wont stop and i dont wanna spend all my time talking about it and not getting anything done. seems such a waste.

so what do you suggest? i post there on help wanted now and just leave this post lingering about? or wait for it to be moved?

"Like it or not, you are selling yourself. Creating a game isn't something that you're just going to working on for a few days and you're done. You're asking someone to invest hundreds or thousands of hours of their time into this project, and before most people are willing to do that they generally will want to know that you are truly serious about this project and that it exists as something more than ideas in your head."

im not asking anything im looking for a programmer who is also perhaps looking for an artist to make anything just cos he wants to program and wont be thinking about how much time hes investing or what he might waste cos he or she will just like programming to be programming. the person im after will already be ivesting all his time farting about prgramming anyway. your mental and talking balls and making me talk and theres a lot of talking and no doing. sod this ill program it myself.

Well since you want to program it yourself, I suggest you pick a language, then you will need to decide on a graphics API. Once you have learned the basics of your language you'll probably want to learn all about data structures since that is a book all on it's own. Once you feel like you are confident that you know how to program well, then you can spend your time learning the graphics API structure and how to program using it and rendering graphics with it, or you can decide on a game engine and learn the structure of it so you can manage to create a window and something to render on the screen. It amuses me to think that you think you could have learned how to program in the time you spent on this thread, I think every programmer here probably could just laugh at that. Another idea would be to take Game Maker or some program like that and do that instead since it is no programming at all from what I hear. I will say you will probably be learning programming for about 2 years before you could make a game like you are suggesting, of course that is depending on your language you are choosing. There are easier programming languages out there.
you are very clever pointing out how long it takes. im not stupid. please someone move or remove this post so i dont have to keep reading this unhelpful commenting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement