Is Raknet trustable?

Started by
23 comments, last by rip-off 14 years, 3 months ago
Now I'm *planning* to start an important project of an online action game and I'm planning to use Raknet. Can I trust it to be fast enought and reliable enought to stand if my game grow, or would it be better to program it all by myself using winsocket? [Edited by - WindScar on December 22, 2009 7:24:28 PM]
Please point my english mistakes everytime you can.
Advertisement
Im sure your using the wrong word when you say pretending, but RakNet will handle what you can throw at it.
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.
I don't think you mean to say "pretending"... I think you mean "thinking", as in "I'm thinking of starting an online action game project, and I'm thinking of using Raknet".

In answer to your question, yes you can trust Raknet to be fast "enough" and reliable "enough" (though you haven't really said what you mean by "enough"). If it's good enough for these guys, it's probably good enough for you.

Besides, there's no reason why you couldn't start out using RakNet and later replace it with something else if Raknet proves to be a problem. Spend your time actually making your game now and worry about that kind of thing when (if) it becomes a problem. After all, there's no point worrying about what'll happen when your project becomes popular if you never actually release anything in the first place!
*LOL* Really used the wrong word, it was supposed to be "planning". Pretending is very similar to the translation of planning in my native language.

Also, perfect answer Codeka, thank you very much.
Please point my english mistakes everytime you can.

If havent used RakNet or seen its specs, but the questions I would ask from one side is how large do you think/expect your game to grow, and from the other how scalable is RakNet -- if you have to split your servers into clusters is it a problem?

Does RakNet mostly low level (so that you build what you need above it) or higher level which may interfere in complications when a cluster is used. Does it already include some cluster type features to possibly simplify the work to make that function.

The complications of scaling up a server will probably be independant of the low levels and you might consider a design to allow cluster operations if you expect your game to go that large. Measure twice and cut once -- a little design at the front end could save you from massive rewrites of your game server system later.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Compared to all the other stuff you'll need to solve, RakNet won't be your main bottleneck. If it makes network development easier for you, then use it. I seem to have seen RakNet credited in some commercial game I played (XBLA game, perhaps?) so it's clearly usable.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
It seems to work good but I think networking libraries are a waste of time since you can't make it directly to your needs.
What do you mean "can't make it directly to your needs".
well if you want to make something more custom you really can't unless you feel like diving in shit tons of code, I just mean it's more custom when you build it yourself.
Quote:Original post by ARC inc
well if you want to make something more custom you really can't unless you feel like diving in shit tons of code, I just mean it's more custom when you build it yourself.
Yeah, but I'm guessing for the majority of people those libraries do everything they need and therefore they won't need to dive into the code to customize it, thus saving them copious amounts of time over reinventing the wheel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement