Is Raknet trustable?

Started by
23 comments, last by rip-off 14 years, 3 months ago
What weakness did you find in Raknet that would merit custom code?

If your argument is "it would require writing lots of code to customise Raknet", it is a pointless tautology and easily rebutted by "it would require writing lots of code to write your custom code from scratch".
Advertisement
RakNet's been used in a long list of commercial games, so it's definitely a library with plenty of merit.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
raknet is fine, a few games (Demigod) for example have ran into issues with the wrapper when over 100,000 users are connected at the same time. But that is an extreme example that most likely won't happen for you.
Raknet was made with MMOs in mind. I am using it for my MMO Engine. Haven't tested it with large number of players yet since I am just working on a prototype at the moment and my engine isn't even complete but I am sure it can handle anything you throw at it!
In Development:Rise of Heros: MORPG - http:www.riseofheroesmmo.com
Quote:Original post by dubcanada
raknet is fine, a few games (Demigod) for example have ran into issues with the wrapper when over 100,000 users are connected at the same time. But that is an extreme example that most likely won't happen for you.

Which has nothing to do with RakNet. It sends data as efficiently as possibly, but no network library in the world can deal with anything thrown at it. If you come across a game that has 100,000 users connected at the same time, chances are that they split them up by design - it's not because their library does magic.

WoW breaks too when people get too close to eachother in high numbers.
To the original poster: Raknet is not for every game application, it all depends on your design. You need to look through your design, look through the Raknet API, and try to figure out if it will save you time or not.

You might even come to the conclusion that it's better to write your own networking stuff.. Probably not, but who knows? It would save you a third party lib dependency, and that's not too bad.
Quote:Original post by Promit
RakNet's been used in a long list of commercial games, so it's definitely a library with plenty of merit.

Also used as the basis of Unity's network layer
Actually, RakNet is good for any application. It's cross-platform and it's reliable. It can certainly handle what you need it to do, and the API is incredibly easy to work with. Everything is well documented and it's not too complicated. If anything, don't trust some of the plugins. I've heard the networked ID one is bad once you add a lot of IDs to it. Other than that, it's really good, I use it for everything.
Hi, I can't really come up with a good signature at the moment...
Another vote for Raknet, fast, secure and flexible. deals with the low level stuff letting you get on with the slightly higher level stuff.

PureBlackSin
For Games, Articles and Custom High End Computers, come visit.Myndoko
Okay just a question that came up. If RakNet works so well why people creating games worry about learning winsock?
Please point my english mistakes everytime you can.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement