BSP collision with the new version...

Started by
3 comments, last by PsycoBlade 22 years, 8 months ago
1. Does this new version include the non-rendered BSP collision thing? 2. If I have a BSP mesh that is purely for collision (i''m not going to render it), does it have to be surrounded by a big empty box? I want to use a BSP of a large spaceship and it would be pretty much impossible to have it surrounded by a giant box because, well, lets say a laser is coming towards this large ship, and the laser started really far away.. it would hit the outside of the big box trying to get to the space ship. Is the big box just to help with rendering, and not collision? If I make a BSP of this ship to match my 3DS that I made, and it doesn''t have a big box around it, will there be any collision detection problems I may come across? Thanks! -Rich
Advertisement
1. Invisible BSP''s aren''t in yet. The next release will mainly have changes to the BSP/terrain engine. Beta 8 was mostly examples and documentation changes.

2. All BSP''s must be enclosed, so you''ll need a box or other shape around it or the BSP compiler won''t work. If you make the surrounding shape use a sky shader it won''t be detected in collision (otherwise you wouldn''t be able to leave my building in the simpleland demo).

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Hello Chris, I decided to experiment...

The BSP compiler does NOT fail when I make a BSP with no big box around at -AS LONG- as I don''t put any lights in the BSP. You''re probably thinking "but you need lights!". This is not true if you are not going to render the BSP in the game! If you remember my games use a PRO file for the level and BSP for collision. Well, now I can make large objects such as space ships, cars, etc use BSP for collision and PRO for rendering and the BSP doesn''t have to have a big box around it. I made a small program to test my theory and have found no problems, the collision is perfect.

Just wanted to let you know so that you don''t have to fool around with the sky shader stuff when using non-rendered BSP collision.

-Rich
I was actually thinking of having an option to draw the BSP in the editor so you can make sure the mesh and BSP line up properly.

I remember seeing the editor draw a red line showing where a hole existed when I didn''t have the model enclosed.
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
That red line is drawn from a light to the nearest leak point. If there are no lights, then it doesn''t care about leaks because the only thing that leaks effect during compiling time is the lights. So no lights = working open mesh. Get it?

-Rich

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement