Sign in to follow this  
i__h4x

Rotate player to object

How can I go about calculating the amount that i need to rotate the player to face an object? The players view angles are given as (x,y) where x is up/down and y is left/right. I need to calculate from knowing the origin of the player (x,y,z), where its facing, and the origin of the object to face (x,y,z) how much to increase/decrease x and y. Thanks!

Ok I'm not sure I follow your description of the players angles of (x,y). In a 2d game you would have a single YAW angle in the XY plane. When you add a third dimension PITCH comes into play.

First construct a vector from the player to the target. i.e. Diff(xyz) = Targ(xyz) - Player(xyz).

Then you can use ATan2 to calculate the YAW angle using atan2( diff.x, diff.z ). Finally calculate the pitch using asin( diff.y / magnitude(diff) )

That will give you two angles in absolute terms. If you set the players pitch and yaw to those values it should face in the direction you want.

Minor issue, im using a scripting language, and it has no built in math functions.
Working on implementing atan2 using CORDIC... Should be fun
http://www.worldserver.com/turk/opensource/index.html#CORDIC